Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange noise.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Feb 17, 2003.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

I have noticed a noise coming from my 89' V1500 Jimmy that happens only before the engine is at operating temperature (stock 350TBI) and only when shifting from first to second gear. If the truck does not have the right momentum upon shifting up and I give it some throttle when I get to second I get a rattling sound. I came to my own conclusion that it's the clutch backing plate rattling under heavy load the same as it would if you tried pulling from low speed in a high gear in any standard transmission vehicle. However a mechanic friend of mine was in it the other day and said it sounds like pinging? Would I not hear pinging at idle too, or does pinging occur only under heavy loads at lower temperatures. I don't know the ins and outs of ping or what causes it exactly. It's not that I don't trust my friends opinion, but I figured I would ask the K5 pros. Any info or related links are appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. Anybody own a soft top? Am in the market for one and don't know whether to go custom (ie; from a boat shop), cheap fastback snap-on style or with one of these nice 5-window jobs from offcamber4x4. Not only do I like the zip-down windows making it bikini top like, but would be interested to get some zip-up (tent type) screen windows for crashing out in the back on weekend excursions. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know if its the same problem but right before my tranny went out(turbo350)it had some rattles when shifting gears.i had actually blown up the torque converter and sent metal all through the tranny.

3. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Torque converter? As I mentioned in my post it's standard 4speed.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know what i was smoking. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sorry.did you check the throw out bearing or try to tighten down the bolts holding the clutch to the flex plate.when my throw out bearing started going out it rattled because the bearings were worn out.when i replaced it it fell apart when i took it off the trans input shaft.i dont know how it worked in the shape it was in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

do a search on pinging its all about timeing, octane and compression ratio im sure if you do a search youll come up with all kinds of info