Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange Noises From Down Under ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Oct 22, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Well I thought that it was the Pinion seal Guard/Shield that I had an earlier thread about, but To check I put a bead of RTV around it to hold it to the yoke. First test drive the noise was still there, and the bead was not broken :mad: . So after an extensive test drive really trying hard to tell where it's coming from, I am at a loss. This is as good as I can describe it:

1. It always happens when coming to a stop after running at hwy speed. As I slow down, I feel the detroit unload at about 10mph, and then at less than 5mph I hear the noise.

2. The Noise sounds like 2 or 3 pieces of 1/2" stainless tubing falls out from under the truck and drags for about 1 sec.

3. When I take back off after this has happens, I hear 2 or 3 single tic / tings, as I accellerate at low speeds. It's very random and can't pin it down.

4. Of course I have slid around underneath the truck and checked for anything loose. Shocks, U-joints, U-bolts, springs, calipers, brakelines, etc. etc. All I found was the afore mentioned Pinion seal Shield thingy was loose. I have shaken the whole truck back and forth but to no avail.

I guess I will try torquing everything again when I get home to be on the safe side. I am so stumped as to what it may be. Could it be something that is in the rear diff that settles to the bottom as I stop and gets slung up against the cover by the ring gear? I am grasping at straws here.

Sorry for the book, and thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Rear brakes - drum or disc? Drum hardware loose maybe?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wild guess..

I had a hub cap with a loose center emblem on my 69 GTO make similar noise when slowing to a stop!--I replaced the rear wheel bearings for nothing!~..took it to a guy I know at a dealership,he told me to pull off the hubcaps and see if it still made the noise--it was gone!~ :mad: ..

That pinion flange defector dewhicky was loose on my 74 K20 too..sometimes I could hear it spinning after I came to a stop!--and when driving slowly,it would make a ting-a ling rattling noise--I took my arc welder and tacked it back onto the yoke,but it only stayed on a month or two,and started making the noise again..I learned to ignore it.. :rolleyes: :crazy: --noises don't bother me if I know what is is thats doing it,and I know its not something critical about to break.. :crazy:

4. BigCountryx

Ever wonder what would happen to a bunch of Mouseballs if you put them in your tires? They make 'em ride smooth, then turn into steel shot after about 200mi. and begin bead blasting the inside of your rims. I don't know what kind of mouseballs willyswanter uses, but I don't think these are made the same.

[​IMG]

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Where do you even come up with that many mouse balls?

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

im a fan of golf balls :D

7. BigCountryx

Cables Direct

I was going to do golf balls, but I was told that the outer cover on them wears off then the ball fall to pieces. Willys wanter uses mousemalls and says he likes them, but parently the noise doesn't bother him, or it's not as bad with the H1 beadlocks that he runs.

I will say this, that I can hardly notice a difference between running the balls vs. running nothing in the tires at all. These tires are not balanced at all and virtually no shimmy. They ride better than the 35" bfg Muds or the 38" SSR's that I had on my last truck and they were both road force balanced. I am impressed with the onroad performance of the Iroks. Now I need to see what kinda goo they sling. :rolleyes:

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Have someone check the ujoints as you hold the brakes and give a little gas to stress them a little. I had a u-joint fail once that made similar, weird noises, only at the lowest of speeds.

9. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I think he figured out that it was the balls that he had put inside his tires to balance them.

Looks like a sweet truck, got any pics of it?