Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange oil problem(leak, low pressure, high level)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Aug 22, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, my truck is leaking a bit more oil than I would like it to(puddles where ever i park it.) When I check my oil, it reads like it has a quart extra in it(past the full line.) My oil pressure has gone down some too, more when im idling that when im going. Now, i know my dipstick is wrong, because it leak so much and i havent put any oil in it for a few weeks now. So what would cause the level in the pan to be high but the pressure to be low? Could it be a leak in the system? Im also not sure where the leak is coming from. I need to get some degreaser and then drive and see whats oily after. Any Ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

Could be your fuel pump bellows has a hole and pumping fuel into you oil pan causing your oil level to raise. This will also thin out your oil causing leaks.

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The oil looks like it hasnt been contaminated by fuel or coolant

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Drain it down to the proper level and see if it repeats.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Looks can be deceiving. Smell the dipstick. Old Chevy Caprice I had exhibited the same problem, choke was malfunctioning, and I was get gas in the oil. Was real obvious when I smelled the dipstick, and I could smell fuel. Hope this helps.

John

6. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

You better find out if it is fuel or water; water will make the oil lighter or milky in color; fuel on the other hand will give make the oil smell like fuel and could eventuly lead to an explosion in the crankcase.

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

well, i drained the oil and refilled it. Ill see in a few days if it rises past the full level. I tried smelling the oil and i think i smelled gas, but im not sure, havent really taken the time before to smell the dipstick. If it is the fuel pump, do i just need to replace it? Ive changed em before so it wont be any trouble.