Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange problem with subs!!HELP!! found problem need more help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just hooked up a cheapo system in my girlfriends truck. problem is the subs dont hit right. if i switch the balance left or right it get alot louder, but centered its weak.what could cause this? all the wires are hooked up correctly.

<font color="red"> I tried switching the + and - wires and it worked, the sub was labeled wrong. pulled them out to make sure. now how do i tell which sub is backwards?? i tried one, then the other and it sounds the same either way. i</font>

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: strange problem with subs

Sounds like one of the speakers is out of phase....

You said the wiring is correct, but it sure sounds like a crossed wire either on the speaker side or the amp side.

Double check the speaker polarity using the "9v battery test" it IS possible the speaker is mislabeled for "+" and "-"......

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After you get that problem figured out, think about bridging the amp. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, sounds like a classic symptom of the subs being out of phase with each other. The cone of one sub is moving out while the cone on the other sub is moving in, thereby cancelling out most of the sound pressure that would otherwise be damaging your hearing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You have to observe polarity when wiring speaker systems. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've pulled both subs out of the boxes to double check, all good. the box has seperate chambers for each sub so i dont think the cone of one sub is moving out while the cone on the other sub is moving in

whats the 9v test? never heard of it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the box has seperate chambers for each sub so i dont think the cone of one sub is moving out while the cone on the other sub is moving in

[/ QUOTE ]
    The box has nothing to do with it. If you're applying a positive voltage to one speaker, while applying a negative voltage to the other speaker, then the cones will be moving in opposite directions from each other. As frequencies get lower, the effect of being out of phase is more noticeable due to the extreme volume of air being moved.

The 9-volt test double checks the polarity of your wiring. Disconnect the wiring at the amp end and connect a small 9-volt battery across the wires for each speaker, while noting the direction that the speaker cone travels when the battery gets connected. If one speaker moves in and the other moves out, when the wires are connected to the battery the same way, then the speakers are out of phase and you need to reverse the wiring to one of them. But to get the very best sound, you want to have all of the speakers on the same phase.

Just as an easy phase test, simply reverse the connection to just one of the speakers (either at the amp OR at the speaker, whichever is easier) and then fire up the system and see if it's louder. If it is, then you've found at least part of the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Next you'll need to confirm that all of the speakers are in phase with each other to get the cleanest sound from the system.

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you use a high input or a low input(rca) into the amp? I've incounted this problem a couple of times. I could remove one of the RCAs at the amp and the one speaker would get louder. If this is what your talking about, I check the RCAs for skints, piches, to see if its grounding out. If not it could be a bad/loose input on the amp. You can sometimes put the RCA about half way in to check. If you used a high input straight wiring I'd check those wires to make sure its connected properly. Sounds like a ground (input or amp) to me. Just my 2c.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

might be a pinched rca cable, i'll check that out.thanks

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ttt

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Connect all the wires on the speaker side, then disconnect the speaker wire from the amp....

Using the "9V Battery Test" figure out which way power needs to be applied to make the speaker cone move OUTWARD...that is the correct wiring method. Then note which wire was connected to the "+" side of the battery, and be sure to connect that one to the "+" side of the amplifier output. Do that for both speakers and you'll be set!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif