Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange Rubbing Sound

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by warcat, Mar 13, 2006.

1. warcat

warcat Registered Member

I've got an '85 Jimmy with a 4" lift and 35" x 12.5" x 15" BFG Muds, and I just noticed a strange rubbing sound (metallic) coming from the wheels/ brakes area. Here's how it goes: it sounds like running a nail thru a comb or something. Speeds up as I speed up, slows down as I slow down. Here's the weird part: if I turn the steering wheel to the left, it gets louder, if I turn to the right, it just about goes away. Also, when I apply the brakes, it (the sound) also stops. I don't have a heckufa lot of time to find the problem, but I visually checked in there yesterday (without removing the wheel), and it looks like it might possibly be the wheel balancing weights (the ones that stick onto the inside of the wheel) rubbing on the caliper. But if that were the case, wouldn't the weights just fall off? And why does it stop when steering to the left?

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

BTW, this could be related, but I don't know. My alignment seems to be off. I need to hold the steering wheel at about 11 oclock to drive straight. I tried to get an alignment job, but the mechanic said that the only adjustment he could make was the toe (and it was pretty much dead on). He said everything else is in a fixed position. Is this true? Isn't there something that can be adjusted to make it drive straight with the steering wheel at 12 oclock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing.... where the heck to I find a jack tall enough to lift my truck off the ground without using blocks????

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Jack up your truck and see if you have play in your wheel bearings.

Take off your wheel and try to find evidence of something rubbing. Check the condition of your rotors and pads.

Yes you can align the steering wheel back to where it needs to go. Just adjust your draglink. It's the one going from the pitman arm on the steering box, to the steering arm by your driver's side wheel. There's two bolts on the draglink that tighten an adjusting sleeve. Loosen them, and turn the sleeve. It'll probably require use of a pipe wrench. This WILL adjust your steering wheel position, and WILL NOT affect anything else.

You can get a taller jack at harbor freight.

3. warcat

warcat Registered Member

All good points, now if I only had the time....LOL. I'll try to get it done this weekend. Thanks for the reply.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Standard 3 ton jacks work great. Should only cost ya 80-140 but its well worth it

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Check the u-joints. They can make weird sounds when dieing.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

An easy way to check for wheel bearing noise is to load one bearing at the time. While driving, make the truck pitch from side to side. The bad bearing will get louder when loaded and quieter unloaded. Like you described already. Do you have autolocking hubs? They will make the card-in-spokes noise also.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I had a funky rubbing sound like you describe. Ended up being the rear drum, one of the retaining 'pins' broke and a few drum brake parts were rollin around in the drum when you would drive. Funny thing was it still stopped fine.

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

are you jacking it up from the body, or the axles? with a 4" lift and 35's, you should be able to get both the rears off the ground or the passenger side front tire off the ground just by lifting at the pumpkin with one of those tiny little jacks. the drivers side you'll have to use blocks.