Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange spindle lockout problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've got a weird outside spindle nut/ lockout problem.

I took the truck in to get a lower ball joint replaced today. They found the driver side spindle nut to be stuck and the lockout had a groove worn in it from riding the nut. These guys busted a snap-on breaker bar and heavy ratchet trying to get the nut off.

Once they got it removed they found the inner nut to be in perfect shape. The spindle threads are fine - no cross threading at all. The bearings were properly torqued. Just the single nut was practically welded in place.

They checked the opposing spindle and found it to be in perfect condition. Measurements were taken on both sides and a new spindle nut kit ordered for comparison. The nut thickness of the new kit was exactly the same as the old. There is no apparent reason for the damage to the lockout or the spindle nut freezing in place.

Anyone have an idea or experience something similar?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

prolly what happened is when the previous time that outer nut was tightened down to spec, there must of been a piece of grit on the nut and LOCKED/SEIZED it to the washer between the two nuts.

Just a guess.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem as Cricket today. One side was smooth and easy. I have it apart and the rotor back from being turned. On the other side the outer lock nut is seized up. I can't even get it to budge with the impact and 600ft/lbs of reverse torque. Any ideas? BTW I don't have a torch, so if that's the only idea, I'll just have to put it back together and take it somewhere else.

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

My guess would be that the nut had come loose at sometime, and wore the groove in the lockout. Then when they found it, they overtightened the nut so it wouldn't happen again.