Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange sticking clunk when starting or stopping!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kiqman, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

I haven't changed anything in the suspension. I recently had my u-joints replaced. When I step on the gas from a stop it feels like the rear end has to break loose before I start moving. If I'm stopped and I let off the brake the truck begins to smoothly roll forward. As soon as I step on the gas I feel the rear break loose somewhere and then I'm on my happy way. When I come to a stop the sticking clunk happens again right as the vehicle rocks to a complete stop. Everything seems tight under there and the rear end makes no noise and shows no slop? I've had the wife start and stop 20 times while I walk along outside the truck. I can't pinpoint where the sticking clunk is taking place but you can kind of see the whole rear end jolt ever so slightly when she hits the gas or slams on the brakes.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sticking/misaligned slip joint?

3. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Slip joint...is that the sliding joint in the driveline?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yup. Either as a slip yoke into the transfer case or a slider right in the driveshaft.

As you accelerate and decelerate, this should move in and out freely. If it's sticking, you could get a clunk.

5. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check out the slip joints then. If they're misaligned it means my drive line is bent right? It shouldn't be because it's almost brand new and I haven't even had it off road yet. I'm hoping it's just sticking - which I should be able to fix with some grease through the zert right?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You might have to pull it apart and clean it before you can regrease it, but yeah.

Misalignment doesn't necessarily mean it's bent. If the splines are keyed to only go a certain way and they aren't in the right spot, that can cause bad things to happen. Also, make sure the u-joints at either end are in phase. That means they are 90° to each other.

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be completely different and say it's the rear brakes that just coincidentally started doing that at this time.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All of that,and...

A broken tranny mount,worn tailshaft bushing,or driveshaft yoke that slides into the tranny can cause clunks and binding on starts and stops..also loose "U" bolts,shock bushings,leaf spring bushings,sheared center bolts,and possibly even worn spider gears..if you see the rear end housing moving,its probably the "U" bolts or spring related..good luck,nearly all of my GM trucks I've owned had a "clunk" after letting off the brakes after a quick stop..:crazy:

9. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Loose transfer case mounts, transmission.

Check the brake calipers. I had a clunk that I could not pinpoint. I found what the noise was when the bolt loosened and came out as I was stopping. The caliper lodged against the wheel. Stuck in the lane.

10. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't be the first tranny mount I've busted with this new motor. My tranny leaks like a stuck pig and the last time I had the leak fixed they told me there were bolts broken or missing. I'm guessing it's not in the rear brakes as the braking works great and the clunk is much more substantial, like the ring and pinion are binding on start and stop. Could be the spring bushings cuz they look like hell. U-Bolts are torqued down tight but I would like to ditch the 3" blocks they're sitting on. The whole underside of this bastard needs replaced - from the ball joints to the rear spring bushings to the body mounts. Loving a 20 year old truck is hard to do.

11. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I had a similar noise when my leaf spring bushings were shot.

12. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like U-bolts, brakes, or body mounts.

13. black'burb

black'burb 1/2 ton status

My Cherokee was doing the same thing. Changed out the drum brakes (they were bad) turned the drums and no more clunking.....my .02

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Well, there's lots of ideas for ya. Be sure to check back and tell us what you find!

Nothing worse than leaving us all hanging. :D

15. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

I believe it's a combination of worn out rear drum brakes and spring eye bushings. I'm going to replace the bushings and re-shoe the brakes. The driveline was out when I replaced the u-joints so I don't think it's the slip joint. More to follow after next week's eye bolt battle.