Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange Temp Gauge problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Aug 7, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

The temp gauge works fine, but only when the ignition is in the accessory mode. If the ignition is in the ON position, which it needs to be in order to have the engine running, there is no reading on the gauge at all.

So, what could it be? What else could it be? and how do I test your theory?

Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok you take the cake..... that's a weird one.
    Anything else not not working when the key is in the run posisition?

Now here is the really weird thing. It shouldn't work in Acc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    It sounds like some how a feed wire is in the wrong place on the ign switch.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance the column was swapped, or the gauge cluster is incorrect? (something that would change the wiring connections from stock)

Only things I can think of, since the gauges aren't supposed to work in acc.

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Either the column or the dash was replaced by a previous owner because there is a window where it would tell you what gear you were in with an automatic transmission just above the column. I'm guessing it was the column because I have a manual with a 203 which was, if I'm correct, only available in 74's.

Oh and all the other gauges work fine.

I never noticed the temp gauge was wierd until a month ago. My water pump died, and I replaced it. Now the truck gets really hot going up long hills. And I had no clue until it started acting like it was overheating one day. I pulled over and turned the truck off and I got a lot off dieseling and backfiring, and the temp gauge shot up off the scale, but only in accessory position. After about an hour it was down to normal and I drove down the hill and back on flat. It does fine on flat. As for the overheating I have a much better water pump on the way, I flushed the Radiator, and made sure it was not clogged up for air to run through. But the Gauge is still screwy and I would much rather have a heads up instead an engine blowing up.

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Any more suggestion?