Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

strange temp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fatboy, May 18, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

in the morning start the burban and drive it and the temp goes up to 210 and then drops down to 180 and then stays there. Weird. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Just put a 180 thermostat in, and a new water pump. Old water pump bearings were shot /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. could it have air stuck in the engine? If so how could I burp it? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.giflol any other ideas /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Pretty cold outside when this happens?

Mine would sorta do this when it's cold out, would heat up pretty good until the t-stat fully opened up, then would drop way down, then back up until the t-stat would open again, did this for a bit until everything was at normal operating temperatures.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If so how could I burp it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is burping it, but I drove for awhile to get it hot, pulled over and noticed the overflow was full, so I released the lever on the radiator cap for several seconds and drove home. Next morning overflow was empty, refilled tank with water and no more going too high and coming back down. Actually did this not that long ago when my thermostat got replaced . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My blazer does the same thing when I first start it. It will shoot up to about 210 for about 10 seconds then drop really quickly down to 190 where it always runs. I think this is normal and due to the t-stat having to open. That temperature wont hurt the engine anyways. It takes about 260 to actually hurt the engine, and even at that temperature it would only blow a head gasket or crack the head.
    -Harrison

5. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I swapped the T-Stat, and had the radiator cleaned/repaired. I bought a new water pump but haven't swapped it yet. The bearings are ready to go. So I guess the temp thing probably won't go away after the new Water Pump?

I would believe it's normal if it's always done that but it hasn't always done that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif