Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange transfer case problem/help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yesterday leaving work, I stopped at a stoplight and when I gave it a little gas something popped (not real loud) and there was a whirring noise (almost a grinding noise) and the '75 K-5 wouldn't move. Lock in hubs and same thing. Low/high just a loud whirring.

Today I crawl under and remove the rear drive-shaft, take the bell shaped cover that the yoke is bolted through. Don't see any metal chips, thrust bearing there is fine, needle bearings are fine. You could turn the (output ?) shaft there and the front drive shaft turned.

O.K. put the cover (with yoke) back on with just the bottom bolts to keep everything in place so I could remove the Transfer case and not loose any parts.

Started to remove the front drive-shaft u-bolts and the shaft wouldn't turn. ???
    So, I locked in the hubs, got in and crank the truck and it was like nothing was wrong. Wanted to pull out of the chocks!!!

I think, ALRIGHT!!!

Crawl back under and reinstall the other 8 or so bolts to secure the cover and get back in and whirring noise is back and the truck won't move.

It is a '75 with a Turbo-350 and 203 transfer case with a part time kit installed by the PO.

No problems previously before the "kick out and whirring noise".

Any ideas on where to start fixing?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. dontoe

There is an engagement ring (for lack of a better term) that is where the problem seems to be. The cogs are just barely touching is the whirring noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Anybody?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  3. dontoe

Never mind...................the 203 is in the junk pile and the 208 is getting ready to go in tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hey Dontoe.

You want to borrow my NP-203 rebuild video? It will walk you through step by step.

I can priority ship it, 3 days max to your door.

5. dontoe

Thanks bunches man. Naw, I really don't like 'em anyway. Way to heavy. Only way I'd put up with that weight is to have a 205. I wanted to swap to the 208 after I get the garage built. Rough working in the gravel and grass. But...gotta do it or do with out it!

Thanks again!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The shifter must have come out of adjustment or something happend with the shift fork for the range box. Only other thing that is could be is there is a Torgensen thrust bearing that spaces the assembly at the lock out for 4wd. If it broke it might do that.
    [​IMG]

Man I hate that. That case was trouble free for me. It worked better then the one in the 79 I had.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. :(

7. dontoe

Yea, I tried adjusting the linkage and all the parts looked good in that area. Anyway the longer tailshaft 350 and the 208 is all bolted up and only thing left is mounting the shifter and the driveshafts.

I like the 208s better anyway. I can handle installing them by myself in the yard and the lower geared low range is nice. Guess I might sell the 203 and short tailshaft 350 later on. The '73 has them, so for now I'll save 'em for spare parts.

On the good side, I took two weeks off and it broke the last night of my work week.
    And the tow bar I made a while back worked like a charm!

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well that probably lost 200lb doing that swap. :o

That part time kit is like $300 bones new. Should bring some cash if you pull it out and put it up for sale.

Hell I wonder if the splines stripped out of the part time kit?

Nahhh that things is beefy.

I just cant think what possibly caused that. :crazy: