Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strange valve tick???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Nov 6, 2004.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I am trying to get rid of an annoying valve tick. I am thinking it is just a problem of old retainer nuts coming loose. I adjusted the valves last night with it running, and it was sounding great when I went to bed. I got up this morning and started her up, and the tick was back! Is it possible for the retainers to back off after just 15 minutes of running? Or should I be looking for another problem? I am going to go ahead and replace all the nuts today and readjust everything just to be sure. The wierd part is, I could shut it off and start it back up again last night, and it was just fine. Any other ideas??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lifter history?

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a "noisy lifter" I put off to long. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif It ruined the lifter bore trashing the block as well. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Adjusting Valve lash with the motor running is not a very accurate way of getting a precise preload adjustment on your lifters. Why not do it the right way, it is alot less messy and creates a more stable valve train. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

The lifters were new when I put the engine together in March. I didn't even think to get new rocker retaining nuts at that time, which I should have. I have had problems with it since being noisy and just not running well. Last month I even took the manifold off, replaced the lifters again and adjusted it to perfection. Sure enough though, by the time I got it home, it was ticking again.

I went ahead and got new nuts this morning and redid the side that has been giving me problems. Its running great now. I also went ahead and got a intake gasket set. I think next weekend I'll tear it down again and redo the other side, and do a good static adjustment on it.

Lesson learned though, next time I do a major rebuild, I'll buy a whole new set of those nuts. It aint worth the hassle!

And just fyi, my main goal right now is to keep it running well until the spring, when I will have a chance to get some new heads and a camshaft., then lift, then tires, then... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif