Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

street legal beadlocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, Oct 8, 2001.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing, and where can i find them?

Thanx!

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I dont think that there is such things as actual bead locks and street legal. Although some states dont have laws against them so check with the DMV.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Spoke too soon, I just found some in a mag. But I wonder if theyre real locks? xtreme steel wheels from 4 wheel parts.
    chris

PS any other info would still help thanx!

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Nope, those are NOT real beadlocks.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The ones from 4wheel parts are called "street locks" and fall into the catagory of fake cell phone attenas that sell at pep boys. [​IMG]

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Re: s tstreet legal beadlocks?

Well then they'll fit perfect with my chrome wipers, my 5 cell phone antennas, and my big sticker on the winshield that says"blazer"(just so you know what it is)[​IMG]!!!! oh yea and my new fog lights that I mounted to my axles!! Ah-hahaha

We'll at least now I know! So do you know of any beadlock Co's. I found M/T 589's w/locks but da dang 250 a piece! I'm wanting to go 37 ssr's and locks. what's trail worthiness(I.e. trail fixs, hitting rocks) and should I go 15" or 16.5" both 8-lug.

Sorry so many Q's and thanx again!

Chris

PS Steve.. Love the pics of the fender trimming!! looks exceptionaly smooth!!!

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

pretty sure all of them are legal

8. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

National Tire $ wheels has them. 15x8 to 15x14. 6 or 8 lug. They are Eaton Steel Beadlocks. Real Beadlocks. They are even cheaper then the Fake ones in the 4 wheel parts Ads.
    I Bought 5 15x10 for 124 a piece. Paid $695 Sent to my Door.
    I will post a couple pics of them in a couple of days. Even made a special aluminum ring to fit them.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those 4WPW "street locks" are called similated bead locks. As Steve said, they're not real. However, I think they look KICKA$$ and would love to have a set. They are supposed to provide "extra" wheel lip protection, so if you look at them in that sense, they are pretty cool.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

WELL, Steve, I would just like you to know, that just today i sold not one, but THREE imitation cell-phone antennas. THREE!!

<font color=blue>"ummm, you do know that these are fake, right?"</font color=blue> (me)
    <font color=red>Oh yeah, I know!</font color=red>(dumb smile on his face)
    <font color=blue>uhhhh, ok..........</font color=blue>

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What makes any beadlock illegal? I have read in the magazines that they are, but why?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've heard that MRT makes nice beadlocks
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mrtrockcrawlers.com/>http://www.mrtrockcrawlers.com/</a>

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

here's a couple of beadlock threads that may clear up your question, 84.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=216519&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=129310&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=129310&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1</a>

Basically, because a bolt or two could break and let all your air out, kinda like a blowout.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

absolutely no solid information on any of those thread links.
    no chapter and verse code stating beadlocks are illegal.
    same as everytime this topic comes up
    "i heard..."
    what is really annoying is that several cops are on that thread and dont quote from the book for us.

15. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Re: street legal beadlocks? *DELETED*

Post deleted by 85m1009

16. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

"and requires DOT approval on wheels sold on new vehicles"
    that is an interesting line

obviously i meant no personal disrespect. we seem to be on same side of the line on this issue. until someone comes up with clear definitive 'this is the section of the vehicle code that makes beadlocks illegal, the wording is as follows' i will continue to believe they are in fact 'legal'
    just MHO. i hate it when people claim stuff is illegal by pulling stories out their xxx. went through it searching for my powerlock for my front axle. apparently it is 'illegal' to run a traction aiding dif in your front axle. I've also been told crossover steering is illegal. tires over 33" are illegal. hiem joints are illegal
    your truck has all of the above and you are a "peace officer" , go figure?

17. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Look up Tireloc.com This company makes a street legal beadlock system that I have been using for 5 years...and I run 16.5 wheels!

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Too bad they cost as much as a new set of tires. [​IMG] I'd love to have a set of those, for maybe $200 tops. But for $750, plus wheels, they're a bit outlandish for my tastes. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

19. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I agree they are pricey but here are some advantages they have over "other" beadlocks: 1- they lock both inside and outside beads, 2-you don't have to buy new wheels,3- if you bend your wheel really bad,they keep working, regular beadlock rims leak terrible, 3- Street legal, 4-makes mounting tires easy for do-it-yourselvers,4 They can't wear out-I know guys that have bought two sets of regular beadlock wheels at $150 a piece. I was turned off at the price at first too.