Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

street legal,insurance and inspection???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jsc383, May 4, 2000.

1. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

with everyone doing things like liftin, changing gearing and tire size does that make it any harder to get thru inspection with all these pollution laws. where i live they are VERY strict about emitions and such (i would love to see them try and get a truck with 40"s on the dyno). And does anyone have really high insurance because of there truck? I know there is a lot of people come here and there have to be a few of u that are cops, so help me out here, what would make you pull over a truck if its been modified, 38"s that hum like an old air conditioner? top off? lack of exhaust pipes or doors?

ps the cops in my township get to drive blazers 88-97

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Well if you tell the inspector what you have it might be easiler, because you only tell them what's legal !
    I have tested a freinds truck with 39.5x17.??x15 Micky's on the dyno(not IM240), they were load as hell
    but we are measuring exhaust emmitions, not DB(db) sound.

As far as insurance I have a winch up front in an aftermarket bumper, and I told the insurace comp. that
    I want full coverage on the winch, and is an option, not to bad an extra 10-15 a year(cheap insurance I think)

Now inspection is very differnt from state to state(even some small towns/large towns), seam to have
    different rules, you did not say where your at(going). When I moved from Lewisville Tx. to Tucson Az.
    the inspection consisted of looking at the VIN #, and signing a form saying all saftey equipent was operational.
    Then again we I lived in the Southeast USA most states had an anuall inspection sticker, which could
    make your life real difficult, unless you are a VIP.
    Good luck

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dude, You didn't say where you are from, but I know in MD, the lift laws are that the bottom of the bumper can not be higher then 28", that goes for rear and front. My truck is around 27 1/2". Very close. I run 35" meats, so 38" would be out of the question. Emissions here are for vehicles 77' and newer. Cops haven't given me any hassle yet. I drive by a lot of cops too, since my truck is my daily driver, plus I got Historic tags now, and I'm not suppose to drive it around as a daily.
    Boss

4. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

i live in jersy, and were going thru a big change in how the in how the cars are inspected, new fancy equipment that costs at least $40,000. when i got my truck inspected it failed the first 3times but after a new EGR it passed with little room to spare. the other thing about newjersy is that the insurance is really high $1,600 a year, the funny thing is that i know a guy that has a DWI and at least one major accident on his record and he pays $1,400 a year!

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Whoooooooooooooooooooooooow
    $40,000
    And I bet it can look into your diff. and tell the ratio.
    It can also look into your engine and tell if you changed the comprsion ratio.
    Looks like big brother is whaching you, becarfull what you do.
    (LOL)

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Well I don't know where you're from(because you didn't fill out your profile), and we don't have inspections unless you register an out of state vehicle so here goes. Lights, turn signals, tail lights, reverse lights, tag light, driver side mirror + either interior or passenger mirror, muffler, adequate tread all required. Doors and windshield optional. (No windshield = required protective eyewear) Also required but harder to gage; good brakes, safe steering and handling. I personally don't worry about tag and reverse lights, but everything else can get you stopped. Just have enough pride in your K5 to keep it in good running order and you'll be fine. 1st priority is always safety. As far as insurance, $150/year for liability only.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

$150 a year! SH*T man! i am jealous!i pay $1200 a year just liability on my 6 cyl 65 chevelle! of course i am 18 years old and a drag racer and living on the outskirts of philadelphia pa.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

ps check out the me and my car here at my home page.
    http://www.geocities.com/oldnavyk5man/k5page.html
    my best friends truck is there too, but its kinda blocked.

8. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

damnnn!!! 150??? my insurane for 6 months was (get this) $666 for just liability!! I got the quote the day I bought my '89 Jimmy, I was 16 then, and I was a little weary about driving the truck right after I got those numbers! oh well... i guess that they were just a number because nothing had happened, I haven't gotten a ticket yet, knock on wood, and I haven't even had a small fender bender, KOW again. I'm hoping that when I turn 18, soon, that insurance will drop some... YEAH RIGHT!!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Hey jcs383, your right we have high insurance here in NJ- highest in the country. BillyBob is having some trouble getting his K5 through inspection. It failed for visible smoke, so we took it to a service center and he wouldn't touch it because he thinks it needed a whole motor, but the truck has only 107k on it. Any ideas how to get it through without pullin the motor?

P.S. Were do you go off-road? All the trails here up north were shut down by the greenies [​IMG] and the only ones we have left can be done easily with a stock wrangler, so they get boring fast</font color=blue>

10. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

I put in a new motor and cat (at 164,444mi, still ran great) just so i could pass, and i have herdof\ 80s chevy trucks smoking the first few min of start up, this is normal. all i can say is get as many opinions as posb. then decide.

Well you could go to Chatsworth, thats in the pines and thats like going to the movie set of "Deliverance", (if any one called 6 toe joe says you have "a really purty mouth", leave ASAP). Its mostlymud and sand hills and its far from north jersy, but its fun nun the less. personaly i just go to my uncles dirt farm and use his bulldozer to make some hills.

oh, and i see in your profile you have a rc10t3 man that sh!^ never gets boring hu. you should try and take your R/C truck to chatsworth and try some of those jumps and show up some of those jeeps.

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Hmm.....6 toe joe, huh? i'll remeber that! Ever heard of Jackson Whites?! Where is this Chatsworth place? any directions? Are you going to Thunder on the Beach this month? I went in october, but i didn't have my truck because it blew up the week before. I wanna go, but i don't think i can.
    The T3 is cool, but the GT is faster!</font color=blue>