Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Street TBI 383

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 9, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm planning on selling my 95 3/4 ton now. Money is too tight right now and it will really free up a lot to get rid of it. I like it but since buying it I can't help but think I should have bought an early 90s short bed 1/2 ton 2wd and built a street truck. So thats what I'm planning on doing. I want to find like an automatic v6 one and slap a 383 in it after a little time. I would like to plan out the motor now though(I always like doing this). Gives me something to look forward too and time to figure stuff out. Ok so suggestions for a Daily Driving street TBI 383 are very welcome. As long as it gets 10mpg+ I'm happy(most any vehicle has ever got me). I'm thinking stock 1 piece rear main roller motor block, 383 stroker crank, Comp Cams XR270HR(270/282 hydraulic roller), Edelbrock E-Tec 200 heads(not sure what heads would be best), Vortec TBI intake(maybe dual plane edelbrock with adaptor plate), and a good set of long tube headers. Probably run the Turbo City throttle body with 65lb police car injectors. Can anyone see anything I should change or think about? I'm thinking maybe the cam is too large for the MAP sensor?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I paid attention before, a 383 one piece rear main motor is a fair bit more expensive than a two piece rear main motor to build, because of the crank. FWIW.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well thats not true as far as I know cause there are lots of 383 1 piece rear main cranks on ebay alone for $200 and on summit for $40 more than 2 piece. In fact I am sure it would cost more to build a 2 piece rear main motor cause of all the roller stuff. I will most likely end up building a 2 piece motor though cause I have 3 2 piece 350s sitting in the garage and no 1 piece motors.

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im kinda doin the same thing with my k5, but jus had wreck so there went the funds, but i talked to Beast388 some and it sounded like he knew his stuff. and i thought the summit crank was runnin $350?? good luck, let us know..

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say that the cam is probably too large for a MAP sensor, but I can't say for sure, I've never tried it.

Keep in mind that trucks didn't get roller camshafts until 1996.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want a roller cam, IMO, go with a 1 piece rear main block. Aftermarket roller stuff is pricey, and I don't like comps "don't let it idle" statement on their hydraulic roller lifters.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never heard that but yeah I would have gone 1 piece rear main if I went roller probably. But I am not doing that now. I am getting my k5 back on the road /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif