Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strength of Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Jul 12, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

So how strong is a D60 with everything in good condition? I know there is always a freak deal where a u-joint will give way but how hard could it be wheeled with say... 44's.[​IMG] Just hypothetical. Would that be conparable to running 38's on a 10 bolt? I would just like to know it's capabilities. I'm bored[​IMG]

Chad

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Dana 60's are strong as crap. Look at all the guys from the TTC's the last couple of years running Dana 60's and 44's. They beat the crap out of their trucks and for the most part, the 60's take every bit of it. They aren't bulletproof, but they ARE the closest you can get for the front...esp with 35 spline inner and stub shafts. There probably are other options, but with how much $$$$$$ it would be, Dana 60's are the only reasonable choice.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I think 48"-50" on a D60 would equal a 10 bolt with 38's. you night start wearing out wheel bearings with tires that big.

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

to put it simply 60s are the shet. They can take a pounding and then some. Even a fully built 44 or 10 bolt is not overall as strong as a stock 60. I have 4 friends running 60s, all with 44 boggers and the smallest motor is a 454 and the largest being a 500 cadillac. None broke so far. If you are going to break a 60.(I have only seen 2 in my like break) you will usually break a stub shaft, or an inner u joint, but as mentioned above, 35 spline outer axles will cure this problem.

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Here's a comparison using one of my friends trucks.

It started life with a moderate 454 and 38" Swampers. He is pretty hard on the truck and literally broke every piece of the 10-bolt at least twice in a couple of years time. After finally getting a Dana 60 he went to 42" Swampers. In the couple of years he's had the 60, he has broken one stock stub shaft (since replaced with 35 spline versions) and that's it. Let me re-emphasize that this guy is very hard on the truck and does stuff such as four wheel burnouts on the pavement.
    BTW, he also split two NP208's in half.