Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strength Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ScoobyDann, Mar 20, 2001.

1. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    My question is this..I have a 10bolt now w/ 4.56 gears and a detroit rear and auburn posi front. my question is this.. my freind has an 84 (dont shoot me just yet) jeep. the jeep has a 383 stroker pulling aroung 400 horses, he thinks his dana 35 and model 20 (w/ one piece axle) are weak. he mostly does sand dunes and mud. my question is which will break first on his truck (seeing as how he wants my axles) the 10 bolts, or the 35 and 20.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 35 first, then its a horse race. Just my prediction. If he has the one piece axles in his model 20 it may last for a while, if not then your 10 bolts will probably outlive that too.
    I wouldn't count on the 10 bolts living behind 400 horses though, I think your friend is flirting with Dana 60 territory.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

3. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

You should trade your 10 bolts to you friend and get yourself a 60, or two...

[​IMG]

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming you mean a Dana 30 front and the model 20 rear, I've never heard of a front 35 in a Jeep.....
    Anyway, it depends on how he drives but I would guess something in the front 30 will break first. The model 20 rears seem to hold up reasonably well after the weak two piece axle design is junked in favor of 1 piece axles, though I'm sure the 400 hp engine is pushing it to the limit. The one advantage is that running in mud and sand usually is a little easier on drivetrain parts.