Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stress Cracks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAD LUCK 79', Oct 16, 2001.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Any good fixes for stress cracks in the frame? I got under the truck today and noticed where some of the rust had come off.. (last weekends outting) .. and after chipping away about 3 inches of mud with a hammer and screwdriver i found some cracks in the frame and a few others in body mounts... the forward body mounts right where the leaf springs mount to the frame also are cracked about 1/2 to 3/4 the way through... looks like this truck had a rough life before i got it... oh and some real bad rust on the frame to... way past surface rust... think she's worth rebuild or parts?? and if she's worth rebuild any good ideas other than a body off rebuild.?? I need something as a daily drive so time being it's gotta be something i can do in 2 days.

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BAD LUCK 79' on 10/15/01 11:38 PM.</FONT></P>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

About the only option for frame cracks is to clean and grind the crack and then weld it up. Cracks around the steering box are the most common, and ORD sells a weld on frame repair kit that'll fix those. Also if it has cracked around the steering box I'd install a steering box brace while you're at it. They are not really expensive and do a good job preventing further damage as well as 'tightening' up the feel of your steering.

Frame rust...some pitting and scale is tolerable. The thickness of the frame rail should be around .150"-.155" if i recall the thicknesses I and a few others measured not that long ago. If your frame is much thinner than that in places (after all the scale has been cleaned off) it might be a concern. It's pretty hard to tell without seeing it. what can look like bad frame rust can be quite normal...or it could be terminal. If there is still a good amount of material thickness left I would do your repairs and then coat the frame with POR-15...it converts the rust and seals the whole thing so it won't rust anymore.

If you can, post some pictures or more info...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

good reply Rene. Sounds dead on to me too.

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

4. BAD LUCK 79'

i've been workin f-15's for 6 years now and the cracks on my truck are lookin like the one's on my jet... and the bad rust spots are real bad in a few places.. i wish i could place some pics but i don't have a digital camera yet... i could probably get away with mudidn a few more times but that's it... and right now it's a daily driver so i'm not takin to many chances.... just a cleanup and coating won't do the job... how strong will the frame still be after wielding the cracks and possiblly wielding new metal to the frame???

Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Like I said, it really depends on how much of the parent material has corroded. If it's paper thin in larger areas obviously it is a goner. If the damage is limited to a few small spots then repairing it could be an option.

In the steering box area the weld in patch kit is quite commonly used with great success.

The frame itself is just mild steel, with standard welding procedures the repairs would leave the frame as strong as before the rust and cracks. Again there has to be some thickness left otherwise you won't have anything to weld to.
    I normally drill a small hole at either end of a crack before welding it up, this usually prevents the crack from growing while being welded.

For now I would clean and scrape the suspected areas and do a thorough inspection...maybe make a comparison to a good part of the frame so you have an idea of what the thickness should be. If it is very thin in some key areas you may be better off swapping the body onto another frame (if the body is good) or buying another K5.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Again- exceletnt reply Rene. Top-notch..

What about fish plateing the back-side of the body-mount/shackle area- do ya' think that would be strong enuff? (Rene?- anyone else too?)

I think the problem is, the frame is being work-hardend at a pivot pint. Spread the load, and the problem should be cured. -Right?- Anyone? ideas?

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

7. BAD LUCK 79'

i'll do some measurements on the rust spots.. i think the forward body mounts are gonna need replaced... i don't want to take a chance and my front leafs pop off... that would be bad on or off the road...but it looks like i might be gettin a newer k-5 and parting this one out just to shut the wife up... taht's alright.. i've been wantin to rebuild the 350 in it anyways... alright.. any good suggestions for corrosion control on the next one?? like the rhino or zbart linings. how long do they last and how much would it cost to coat the underside of a k-5?? i know one of the site memebers covered his whole truck in it .. which ain't a bad idea.. but i ain't got the cash for something like that right at the moment....thanks for all the input guys...

Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When you get the next one, powerwash the frame and coat it with either Eastwood's Corroless or POR-15. I believe they do pretty much the same thing.
    After that, just spray the bottom of the truck down once or twice a month with water to rinse off any crap that's sitting on it. A lawn sprinkler under your truck works great for this...

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"