Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stretch K60 suburban Here I come!!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright, yesterday I spotted a C60 cab/chassis combo for sale, ( didn't catch the price, but I plan on stopping by to look at it either today, or tomorrow, time permitting. if the price is right, and John is still willing to give me a hand with the storage, and it runs ( I'm not going to tow somehting roughly 7 times as big as my truck 50 miles) then I'll prolly get it...

List of parts *(parts I have)
    *Suburbanm body #1
    Suburban body #2, ( Bluesman, you still got that sucker out at your place? )
    C/K60 cab/chasis combo
    *454 engine (perhaps a Disel engine? )
    *TH400 tranny (might option for a 6-9 speed Semi Tranny instead)
    NP205, or HD Rockwell Tcase
    D60(?) front axle (unless I somehow manage to find a 4x4 or 6x6 deuce and a half)
    Surplus bulk pack Duct tape/JB weld.. ( HA! )
    rough Drafting of how to combine 2 bodies
    refined drafting on how to combine 2 bodies

the current debate lies in wether to disattatch the roof before I do the cutting, and combine the roofs seperately, or hack through the roof and body all at once.. prolly take both roofs off, cut the floor pan on the bottom, do the `rockerpanel replacement' thing using heavy tubing for strength to the whole thing, cut the roofs to line up and match properly ( could be tricky with 1 roof being a 73-76 vintage, and the other being a 77-91 vintage.. bet you didn't know they're different) reattatch the roof, weld, grind, weld, grind, smooth, primer, paint, figgure out how the hell to insure and liscence it, ( register it as a 73 C10 suburban prolly) drive it.

who knows tho,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. lv2whl

lv2whl 1/2 ton status

that sounds really sweet. send me some pictures whenever you get them. have fun!!

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

and don't forget I have that 78 tub here too...so cut away.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have an old Marmon-Herrington 4x4 running gear that came out of a 2 ton truck...MH front driving axle, Rockwell rear end with 6.72 gears, Rockwell T-223 transfer case, T-98 4 speed with PTO, Tulsa 15K PTO winch, and all shifters and linkages for transfer, PTO, transfer mounted parking brake, etc. The lug pattern is the huge 6 lug military, so one could run 48" military tires &amp; rims with no prob...dually of course. I am thinking about the same thing, except I'm looking for a crewcab C-60 flatbed. That way, I can carry a Jeep CJ and 3 or 4 quads on the flatbed, and tow my Weekend Warrior with no problems. Ah to dream...maybe one day it will come true!!

ken

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Now that is a project truck! I'd love to see pics...before, during and after!

Good luck!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if you want a crewcab flatbed, you're probably going to have to make it yourself... those were somewhat uncommon trucks, (if I recal..) so your best bet would be to get a good crewcab off a part out, and put that up on the C60 frame, after you put the running gear under it.

just start with a standard cab C60, that has a 30 foot chassis under it, rip the old cab off, ( keep the fenders, I believe they'll bolt up fine, and look cool...) throw the crewcab on it, and you'll still have a 24 foot flatbed... of course, you'll eitherwant a Tommy lift, tilt bed, or superlong loading ramps ( or some really gnarly loading ramps, and a lot of guts in 4-lo) my friend John is doing this with an old F 650/750.. pulled the crappy cab off it, and replaced it with a new Supercab, with a minimal of effort... just had to fab some mounting points up on it for the back end of the cab, and drop it on.

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if/when I do get around to starting this project, you better believe I'll get project pictures of it in all phases of building and completion.

speaking of which, any of you have commercial property/a huge garage where I might be able to set something like this up at? I figgure I'll need about 20 foot by 3o foot for the initial body combining phase, and perhaps a little more or less for the instalation onto a frame part.. ( although with the right stuff, I should be able to just slide the frame under the body, line up some mounting points, and drop it onto it.. )

oh well, I'd really like to get this thing built this year, ( if I can finish it before June, one of my friends has promised to hire me as a `Limosine service' to take his prom date to the resturaunt, and the prom, etc. ) just because I think it'd be cool, and `I need to have more goals in my life' or something like that.

-Rich

8. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

bring out your dead

10. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ANybody know if he actually finished this project? I'd like to see it....