Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stretched kick down cable on a th700r4...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ok, heres what happened.... I bought the k5 when it had a blown 700 and came with a 6 inch lift and 35's and with a spare np241, and a built 700 with corvette servo and shift kit with higher valve body pressures. We did the swap and ended up stretching out the kickdown cable because somehow it was overlooked in the unhook everything on it phase and we let it sit on the y pipe with the cable supporting it without realizing it(was dark outside). I went out and tested it after filling it up and 2nd gear shifted so hard it sqeeled the tires at barley any throttle and sometimes when i was completly off the throttle... eventually it would cause the demise of my stock 350 by blowing a main bearing. I had it checked out by one of my dads old buddies (the master mechanic) and he said it had a bad servo. I haven't gotten on the road yet because of money and intake gasket issues as well as registration and cali smog laws. My question is how will the stretched cable affect the operation of the tranny and was the hard shifting cause by the bad servo, the cable or both?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It isn't a kickdown cable , its a throttle vale cable , it is always working with the throttle position to choose gears AND line pressure . It must be adjusted properly for transmission longevity . I wouldn't second guess a part that is infinitely cheaper than a whole tranny . I would reccommend replacing it regardless if its was stretched at all when swapping out trans . New casings let the cable move well , and newer outer casings are more flexible when routing :k5: :k5:

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

how easy is it to install... I don't remeber where it hooks to the tranny.

4. pauly383

I hear it isn't hard , my trans came already rebuilt and the thing works well , so I haven't had to touch it yet outside of adjusting it when I installed my new Quadrajet to replace my borrowed Edelcrappy on hills carb , thank God :D

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ok i just looked at it and it couldn't get simpler but my problem becomes the holley tbi and manifold... they have a different mouting spot( i think) and im pretty sure i saw a holley adapter for the tbi and manifold.

6. pauly383

If you have or could cobble up an adapter at the linkage so it attaches , there is an adjustment for the cable , I don't remember the exact thread , but do a search and it was detailed here on CK5 how to adjust it :D

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

an agressive shifting trans will not affect your main bearings in any way shape or form. there is no mechanical coupling between the engine and the transmision to transmit such a force. there is a mechanical coupling between the engine and trans at cruise speeds in OD, although a very weak one (half of the reason you never tow in OD)