Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stretching wheelbase questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by knifeboy2, Dec 14, 2004.

1. knifeboy2

knifeboy2 Guest

Well I'm looking into getting an '88 K5 with a shot body but allegedly good frame and running gear. I'd be swapping teh body of my '60 Willy's Pickup onto the K5 frame. The wheelbase I've found for the Willy's is 118" and the K5 is 106.5". The difference is obviously 11.5 inches. The stock length for the Willy's is 184" and the K5 is 184.8". So length is basically the same. So what I'm wondering is if there's enough room on the frame behind the rear springs to move them back 11.5 inches? The body will be gone so I don't need to worry about chopping sheet metal. I'm not sure yet if I'd be able to or need to move the front axle to fit the cab on and not hit the firewall on the engine. Does anyone have good measurements or drawings of distances between parts of the frame and drivetrain? Thanks a bunch.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think you could do it but it might be close. I am not sure how much frame is left after the rear spring hangers. You could easily do it if you were to run coil-overs and link it...

3. knifeboy2

knifeboy2 Guest

I was wondering if someone could take a measurement for me so I'd know for sure. I'd like to keep leaf springs due to the simplicity of them and the low cost budget to get it done. It also leaves open a large aftermarket for me if I were to want lift springs.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would but i have an 87 longbed truck. If you want i can get you that measurement but i don't think it will help you at all.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I see about 10.5" from the back of my stock spring hanger to the bumper brackets. I think it's close enough you could make it work if you run stock length 52" rear springs.

Rene

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i just measured, there is 4" from the rear of the spring hanger to the bumper brace. its about 11" to the end of the frame. its doable wouldhave to modify the bumper brackets though

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

The wheelbase of my K5 is 117". The front is 52" springs and a zero-rate. The rear is reversed F150 57's.

8. knifeboy2

knifeboy2 Guest

Well once the Willy's body would be on it I'd fabricate my own bumper...though I'll probly end up with a custom roll pan. Its gonna be a street machine with minimal off-road use. I haven't actually seen the truck I'm looking at in person so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. What does the frame look like behind the rear spring hanger? Can anyone take a few pictures of what I'm looking at doing here before I get too deep?

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

pictures of what?