Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped adapter hole in sm465, Heli-Coil it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 24, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I dropped my t-case tonight b/c I needed to replace the adapter between the sm465 and 205 b/c of a nice crack that developed and the fact the the tranny was leaking from the rear...I pulled the adapter to replace it with a different one...As I began to tighten the adapter bolts to the tranny, I noticed that the very bottm bolt hole is stripped. I decided to continue with the install but as soon as I removed the jack form from under the tranny and let the weight rest on the adapter, the adapter pulled apart from the tranny at the bottom...So I called it quits for tonight b/c it is cold and snowing. So do you think if I get a Heli-Coil in there that it will hold? AFAIK, that bottom hole is blind...Do you think a Heli-Coil will hold well enoguh...I think some of the stress on that bolt will be relieved when I attach the 205 again...

Chris

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

I had almost the same problem on my 700r4. Nomatter how tight i got the bolts they kept comming loose, finaly they stripped and i put heli-coil in it. It held up just fine, till the front u joint went(going down they expressway)and broke the trans case and transfer case tailshaft. I think That i should hold up just fine. but i also had a 208 not a 205.

3. fortcollinsram

yeah, but you had only 4 bolts holding the adapter to the tranny...I have 8 and the tranny is case iron and not aluminum...I think it is strong enough as is but I need that last bolt in there so my tranny doesn't dump its fluid on a continual basis...I will try the Heli-Coil tomorrow when I get home form work...I froze my ass off tonight only to not even finish...oh well...Thanks for the input buddy...
    Chris

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

hey there, hows it going, i hear you striped it out, a heila coil should work, we use them all the time at auto tech school. when you get the bolts back in, try useing a big of blue or red loc-tight, that is what works from what ive heard. good luck on that. i wish you luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you use a gasket between the adapter and cases?
    I think the snapring relief may require the gasket to prevent the snapring from bottoming before the machined surfaces meet.
    just a theory on adapter leaks
    think I will go mic the spare, looks like a gasket is definitely required or the adapter will not seat

6. fortcollinsram

Excellent point MJ...I think that was the reason for the adapter leaking originally...I used RTV instead of a paper gasket...I do faintly remember the adapter rocking from one side to the other, as if it were hung up on something in the middle...I used a paper gasket this time but the bolt was already stripped...So tomorrow I will get some gasket material from work and maybe double up the papaer gasket with a light smear of RTV and HeliCoil the stripped hole...

Chris

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have had mine apart so many times and that is the best theory I could come up with to explain the thickness of the massive amount of sillyputty required to seal the dam thing.
    looks real professional /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

bet that is what cracked the adapter

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

YEa i agree a helicoil should be fine they acually claim it is stronger then origianel ( and they couldnt say it if it wasnt true right ) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    i use them when ever needed and they havnt let me down yet
    best of luck to ya hey has ski season started yet ????

9. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

If you have a good tool store or nut & bolt shop in your area, go down and see if they have some things called Gard-Serts. It looks like a bushing, with threads inside and out. You drill an oversize hole for the O.D., then you put a bolt in the Gard-sert and power thread it in there.(If you have enough material to hold it). If you think a heli coil is too weak, check these things out. I'll TRY to find a link.

10. fortcollinsram

Yea, the ski season is pretty much in full swing here...I want to get my truck done tonight after works so I can go to Steamboat tomorrow...but we'll see....Thanks for the help gang...I will use a paper gasket today and heli-coil that hole as I freeze my ass off outside...man, it would be nice if my blazer fit in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Chris

11. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Okay, I found something similar. www.timesert.com
    I thought the ones we use here at work were called Gard serts, but I can't find them. These look like the same thing. A search under 'thread repair' brings up a few more too, for those of you who will eventually strip a thread that a Heli Coil won't be strong enough for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif