Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped dana 60 cap stud...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

One of my studs for my dana 60 steering arm cross threaded and stripped out my knuckle. How I don't know but it did. So anyone have any thoughts on this? I guess I could get a new one and drill the knuckle out, tap it to the next size up. But if I am doing that, I may as well do them all.

I have planned to get Dedenbear knuckles but I was going to wait until the truck was built and ready to hit the trail to get them. At this point I guess I could just order them, run 3 studs while I build it and as soon as its built throw on the knuckles.

No one happens to have a spare Ford Driver side dana 60 knuckle do they?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'd helicoil it, I have had great luck with helicoil repairs on the exhaust manifold studs on my toyota pickup.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never used a helicoil on anything but have heard good stuff. My worry is, this is a steering stud, that is going to be a good deal of force on it, think a helicoil is a good idea there?

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I dont see any probs with using a helicoil, I think they can be a stronger thread than the original. In some aerospace applications, I think they install helicoils right off the bat instead of tapping the base metal for fasteners. I would check out thread-serts also, as I have heard really good things about them too, but I've never actually used them. There is also Perma-coil, which is just like heli-coil, but I have found its cheaper. But as far as strength goes, I wouldnt hesitate to use a helicoil in a steering application. Someone will probably chime in with more/better information.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Threadserts are junk IMO. But I've only ever used them for bolting something to sheetmetal or thin stock. Never where they were backed the whole way.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Either a Keen sert or helicoil. I wouldn't have a problem running either.

Rene

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Just for the record I make parts for Lockhead Martin as well as other goverment contracted companies and the cases were we have used helicoils for threads have always been in aluminum where the helicole is stronger than the aluminum. This is usually on small threads under 1/2".
    That said I wouldn't worry about a helicoil on that stud, or go up to 5/8 but finding a 5/8 to 9/16 stud might be hard and you may have to drill out the arm to run 5/8 all the way. And like you said if you do one might as well do all 4.