Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped Dash?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Jul 26, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever redesigned their dashboard following the lines of the metal frame shown here:

(Pictures at the bottom of the page)
    http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/sound_deadening.htm

I can't really see the top of the frame.. but from what I see here it looks kind of cool in it's stripped down form..it seems like you could design some small cases for guages that fit in these small openings and it might loook really cool. I just wish I could see the upper portion..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

looking for something easy to do to my dash to cover up the holes from not having a dash cover. Maybe somone will have some more ideas and pics.

3. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I'm trying to find some online guides for fiberglass fabrication. I have seen some speaker housings made of fiberglass on that show "Pimp my ride".. seems like you could make some little guage housings for your dash with this system as well. But you would have to buy new individual guages.

I like the industrial look of that metal Dash frame.. seems kind of cool to me... but it is hard to see the whole thing in those pics. Does anyone know of any more pics of a disassembled dash online?

One problem is the heater plastic elements.. I wonder if you could simplify that and only use a couple duct openings(maybe just the lower one) and use the other openings for guages or other things.

I was also wondeirng if I could take my old cracked dash cover and fiberglass over it, or cover it with epoxy or something..

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i ditched all my dash vents except the defrost.. really opened up alot of room... i also removed some of the metal structure behind the gauges... heres what it looked like post paint, ready for dash install...

[​IMG]

5. 6.2LTrailblazer84

That's a cool paint color. Looks very futuristic. :D

Did you cut some metal strips off? Somekind of dividers where the guages are?

[​IMG]

6. ryoken

yeah, i cut a bunch out..

thanks on the color, its called convoy gold... kinda just stumbled across it... goes well with the black i think...

heres a blurry one of the dash prior to install.... man, i need a new camera... :(
    [​IMG]

7. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Awsome.. matching bezels. That looks sick. Where did you get the new guages and is that a new guage backing plate?

So, are the only heating and cooling vents you are using the defroster vents? Are you going to use any of the vent openings for anyhting else? Speaker openings or something?

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:bow: Sweet gages. Where they from?

9. ryoken

thanks, appreciate it... :D

they're AM Pro Comps... most i had laying around used, couple new ones from Summit... the used ones had some trim ring damaged, so instead of redoing em silver, i went for the gold....

and yeah, the bezel itself is a one off composite fiberglass one that i built... they've been posted a few times but here it is installed and dusty... :o ;)

[​IMG]

10. ryoken

defrost and the floor one.... no speakers in dash, i'll go for door speakers instead.. down the road i plan to cage it thru the dash so speakers aren't a good idea...

the only actual vent left in the dash is the one all the way to the right, which is just a dummy for now...

11. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Looks great! :D Nice job!

12. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:bow: Hat's off. Looks really good.

13. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I took my dash apart a little bit today.. I took the dash pad off and temoved the bezel in front of the guages..

The cool thing is that the gauges are seperate from all that other stuff.. I thought it all might have been one piece.

I hate all the plastic stuff on my 84 Blazer dash... I think it looks cool without it. It looks industrial.. haha It looks Racey.

It's brown.. so I will paint it Silver(which is what I plan to do to the whole truck). Then I would like to fill a lot of the Vent holes with other stuff.. switches and little speakers like tweeters and stuff.

I also want to make some little fiberglass pieces to cover some of the stuff around the gauges. I think it will look sweet... I hope.. :D

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I cut mins up some too the other day :D . Putting cage in and gonna build new dash off cage...

DSC02360.JPG

15. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Aww.. can't see that pic.. not a preferred member... :( haha

16. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

basically just a hack job of taking the whole dash out. Only the area around gauges left till I get a peice of tube up to start mounting gauges on

17. 6.2LTrailblazer84

That would be cool.. just make your dash one big horizontal pipe. That would look neat. It would be cool to fill it with something too.. some fluid or gas.. and have each individual gauge in it's own empty tube within the the big tube.. if you know what I mean:D

18. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

i took the dashpad and off and took a wire wheel to it and groung off all the foam and crap from the metal . then painted it it looks pretty rugged i think, ill get a pick up

19. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I hadn't examined the dash pad closely.. the metal under my dashpad is all rusty and matches the brown of the pad.. so I didn't realize it is shaped exactly like the pad..

I would love to see one stripped and painted.. Maybe I'll get an old one from the junkyard and do that. I still think i can salvage mine just in case I want to use it later.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  20. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Hey, 79Blazer.. did you ever get a pic of your stripped dash pad?

Here is a pic of my stripped down dash..

[​IMG]

heres another one..

[​IMG]

and another..

[​IMG]