Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped exhaust bolt hole

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Anybody ever stripped the threads on an exhaust bolt hole??

I was trying to get the damned manifolds on yesterday (they were a MONSTER hassle to get off) and the manifold holes don't line up with the exhaust bolt holes; the manifold seems to have shrunk by almost 1/8"! So, me being an idiot, got the first bolt in with manifold standing off by 3/4", then the last bolt in and started tightening and the #7 exhaust holes stripped on me! I took the manifold back off and retapped the #7 exhaust bolt holes. I also noticed that the threads on the bolts were flattened right out!! I couldn't even get a 3/8 nut back over them!

Has anybody ever encountered this problem before??

I ended up just bolting the first four bolts per side and leaving the last two completely out since I couldn't get them to line up. (I am going to get headers installed which hopefully have holes that line up!) Do you think that the exhaust shop will be able to torque a bolt into the retapped hole or will I need a helicoil?

2. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

use the heli coil. don't forget to stuff a rag in the exhaust port to keep the metal filing out. Just make sure it is straight.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

at least you still have a hole there.. i bought a 1991 caprice motor out of a police car (9C1) and 1 bolt is snapped off... we tried welding a nut to it but to no avail.. i know i can drill it out.. but im not gonna worry bout it yet.. but yeah my manifolds shrunk too.. i heard it was a common problem with chevies.. but im puttin on headers anyway....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If someone can comment on how much "meat" is around each bolt hole, if it's enough, I'd recommend a thread-sert any day over a heli-coil.

kinda what I'm talking about

But I know them as thread-serts, and they have slots in the top for a flat bladed screwdriver. No goofy tap required, or special tool, just enough metal to tap the hole the next size larger. I get mine at the local non-chain hardware store for around $2/ea.