Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped filler plug on transfer case...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkin, Jun 11, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

After over an hour messing with it, I've successfully rounded half the plug.

I have to get fluid back in there so I don't end up toasting it.
    I already tried to squeeze a tube through the output shaft housing just to get some atf back in there, but couldn't make it work.

So, what should I do to get this plug out? The head is too narrow to grab with anything, and I don't want to leave this thing dry, but I can't figure any other way to get fluid back into this thing...

Anyone have any ideas?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Pipe Wrench

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Will that get enough grab on it? The head on this thing is like 1/8th inch (NP208/241).
    I'll go to home depot or the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have one that looks appropriate.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use a Gator Grip socket to take my transfer case fill plug out. Sears sells them for about $10.

5. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Worst case scenario might mean welding something to it, like a real nut, take it off, and buy a new plug. Hopefully it won't come to that though. I had a hard time with mine recently too, cresent wrench kept stripping it out, and the plug was in between socket and wrench sizes I had. I think it was 1 3/16" (I think), kind of a bastard size, if I remember correctly my standard set went ...1 1/8, 1 1/4.... I ended up borrowing a 1 3/16 socket from the shop where my father works.

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Vent hole?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How the heck do you get a gator grip on there?? I have one, but it's too small to get on there... Maybe I'll take a ride over to sears tomorrow, too and see if they have one big enough.

Hopefully it won't come to welding (I barely remember what my welder looks like, much less how to weld anything), but great idea, thank you.

Vent tube is an excellent idea for now just to get me less nuerotic about it... Thanks! :thumb: :thumb:

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you want to skip pulling the fill plug, the speedo hole is about the same height as the fill plug. pull it out and stick the quart jug there. i did it once because i couldn;t find my pump.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Smack the fill plug with a hammer before trying to take it out in the future if it's being stubborn.

I'd probably grind away some of it with a dremel tool and then use a small pipe wrench and a hammer.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

is it a nut, or more like the rear end where its a hole you have to stick the 3/8th drive into?

if its a nut, go to the next smaller metric item. Hammer it on.

If its a hole, you can try using a product called screw grab, has worked for me on more than one occassion.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yep, that stuff is amazing. You've gotta see it to believe it.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The rear is stripped out, so I'll use that when I get around to hitting the rear.

On the TC, it's a nut. I think I tried hammering on the next smaller size, but it still slipped off. The friggin plug is at the same level as a support next to it, so it's near impossible to get a wrench on it. It looks like it was made for a socket, or not to be tightened so much...

So far, easiest out is filling it via the speedo... If I can get the speedo gear out without screwing that up, then I'll fill it that way and forget it til the next time I do a tune up or something...

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

let me know if you need an extractor though. I have lotsa different "extractors" you can try. You'll never use that nut again, but it will get the nut out. I think I have every single screw and nut extractor that sears sells... (like 40 pieces in all) :xmas:

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Vise grips should work.