Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stripped lug bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 27, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I have 3 stripped lug bolts on my truck, two in the rear and one on the front. I've heard these are "easy to knock out and replace". But I can't seem to define "easy" as taking the brakes all apart. Anyone know of any special, easy way of doing this? Anyone have any clue how much a shop would charge to do such a service?

2. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

if you have a 10 bolt rear its easy

you shoudent have to take the brakes apart just pull the drum off

for the front you will have to pull the hubs and remove the spindle nut and calaper to get to the back of the roter

colby

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Rear is easy, front is a little more involved. ct85k10 is pretty much right on the money.

If you don't feel comfortable with something as simple as taking your brakes apart, then you probably shouldn't be working on your truck.

If you're willing to get dirty and save some money, then you could have this job done in a couple hours but do it on a weekend, just in case.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i was able to remove the one broken lug on the front of my truck by taking off the caliper, spinning the wheel assembly so that the lug was positioned in the area where the opening was from where the caliper would be assembled and then whacked it with a hammer a few times. pulled it out the opening in the back. pretty easy. don't know about the rear, never done that.

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

that would be the easiest way for a single stud, esp if you don't feel comfortable puling apart your hubs. I always just go ahead and pull it all apart when i do mine, its simple enough for me.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

would it make a difference if there were multiple studs? seems you could just pound one out, turn the rotor, do it again, etc.

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

the easiest would be to just bolt up some 3/4 or 1 ton axles that don't have stripped lug nuts :pimp:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The only problem I see with that method is properly installing the new studs. How did you do it?

9. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

there wouldn't be a problem, but just to make it easier to do and properly press in, id pull it apart...then prob just press them im on my 20 ton press. Ive also had some lug studs that you can pound the mess out of and won't properly seat, and yes they were for the right application.