Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stripped oil pan drain plug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supernaut, Sep 29, 2005.

1. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

I ran a tap into it and bought a new plug and some nylon washers. it leaks worse now. apparently i've milked it long enough.

so i take to to a machine shop or welder, right? which one?

What do I tell them? "Weld me in some new threads, fool!"?

i could helicoil i guess, but i've seen the newly welded in threads/nut/whatever it's called and they look strong and professional, the way I do stuff on my truck.

thanks...i tried the search but all i got were transfer case and transmission questions...

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

You should be able to put a new oil pan & gasket in for $50-100.

Mike

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

What size motor? You can get an oil pan for small block chevy out of summit for $24!! Pertty chrome one for $34. Machine shop will charge you at least that!! Unless its a newer Blazer with dipstick on the other side...

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Weld a big nut on the inside. Done.

5. supernaut

Well i thought about that welding a nut idea but then any metal debris will collect around that nut on the inside of the oil pan. I suppose I could weld one on the outside of the drain hole...

I didn't even consider buying a whole new one, usually I'm all about fixing the old one and then keep on truckin'. It sounds like a new pan is in order if the cheap price is true, since that will save me down time with my oil pan off.
    thx for the info dudes!

Slappin' fools since 1975

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

7. supernaut

Dude that is a plan! Now I just need to call my buddy satan and see if I can take a second mortgage out on my immortal freaking soul! That or win the lottery real quick...

8. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

See. That is a much better idea than anyone else had.

9. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I got this new plug from NAPA, but im sure that most auto parts stores have them. It is a threaded plug that will cut new threads into the stripped plug hole. It has a nylon ring that seals it when you crank it down. Inside of it is a smaller drain plug that threads out the other way. It was less then 10 bucks. Good luck.

10. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

don't feel bad, you aren't the only one to strip out some threads... at least you didn't strip them out on your engine block :doah:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Piggyback drain plug..

Thats a "Piggyback" drain plug!--I've used them lots of times!..there are also a dozen or so others that are rubber expandable,single,double,or triple oversize steel drain plugs,etc..--lots of options other than pulling the pan or changing it..cheap too,less than 10 bucks..

One guy that came in the parts store was looking for a 14mm drain plug--someone before him stripped the 1/2" x 20 hole in the oil pan--and tapped it to 14mm(about 9/16!) and screwed an old sparkplug in it!--he was going on a long trip,and feared the spakkplug might get snapped off!..I sold him one for an Audi--it fit perfect!..

12. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just pull the pan and put a new one on do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again. I give this advice cause the pan is so easy to pull in a chevy truck if it wasn't I would probally go for the other plug fix idea. :D