Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stripping the frame to bare metal..best way?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Aug 13, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I am going to strip the frame on the 72, just wondering if I should spend the money for media blasting, or if I can strip it some other way?

On my 75 I used a flap disk on a grinder, it took quite some time /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Any idea on media blast cost? 500-1000?

thanks for any advice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sandblast. Some businesses charge around $1 per minute to blast anything you give them. Their blasters are normally larger engine types of compressors and the hoses they use are like 2" in diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I got a 20$ sandblaster for my birthday that I am going to use on my k5's frame. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Go to the rental yard and get yourself a 185CFM compressor and a 300lbs to 600lbs blast pot.

Compressor

Blast Pot

That setup should run you about 300-400 bucks a day. With that setup you'll be done blasting in a couple hours tops.

The media should be about ~100bucks

This is what I would do for such a large job. Or better yet, if you have the $$ take it to the pros and let them do it like Wes said.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. supersize75k5

I found out my poudercoating shop I use can do it for a great price, including the a-arms and all suspension goodies /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think under a grand is a decent price, now I just need to go rent a trailer and get some time, this project is going to be fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I would rather have it done all together..and media and blasting is super messy /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into chemical stripping? There are shops around that will dip large items into tanks of acid and get it super clean. Look in the phone book under 'metal stripping' or something similar. I had my doors/hood/fenders stripped for $50 each so that should give you a ballpark idea of how much it should be.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

combination power wire brushing, oven degreaser, kerosene blade scrapers and hand held propane torch and sand paper will clean it, its not that bad doing it unless its midwest rusty junk

ive cleaned mine with brake cleaner and a blade before, axle housings and all, doesnt evne take very long, liek a coupel hours on each axle tops.,

easy, once the frame is stripped of hardware and brackets then its simple really.

sandblaster is a way of paying for laziness, just standing there and letting machine get most of it, some of it it may not get iwthout softenign it up anyways, theres alot of thicvk black tar junk youll come across that the blaster wotn get but oven cleaner and a blade will get in seconds

good luck

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I rented a little air compressor and borrowed a sand blaster. It worked well but took forever and made a big mess with all the sand. Then I tried a 7" wire wheel on my 4.5" grinder that works awesome, no effort and down to the metal. Not has good of a job but not a textured, bumpy look/feel like the sand blaster.

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Where did you get that wire wheel at? Jw, I've got some projects on the mind. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. supersize75k5

ya, 7 inches sounds fun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

hmm, I could do alot of damage, better were gloves, I will look in some catologs to see if I can find some /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I picked up the wheel at acklands.
    Yeah it does serious damage, especially to the knuckles when you grab the handle the wrong way lol. But it seriously took my rusty undercoated frame to the metal in no time.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Jasco paint remover. Good stuff, you know it's quality when it burns when it hits your skin. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I used a gallon of it when I stripped the whole body of my truck to bare metal, I could have used a second gallon there was so many layers of paint on it... It's kinda messy but will make short work of the paint. Brush it on and leave it a few minutes, the paint bubbles right up and you scrape it right off with with one swipe of a putty knife.

13. supersize75k5

big thanks to fry and shaggy!

that should save some time!, I have 3 gallons of por15 that came with the deal so I might go that route rather then powedcoating..unless I get lazy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif