Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stroked 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

All the engine posts lately have got me wondering if I am going in the right direction with a 454 that I have. It is a TBI 454 out of an 88 model truck. It was in need of a rebuild and new pistons so I started collecting parts for it. I have purchased an Eagle 4340 Forged 4.25" stroker crank and eagle H-beam 6.385" rods. I had planned to bore 30 over and stroke it to about 490 CI.
    Lately I have been thinking that is possibly overkill for what I want to do with it. My plans are to install it in my 88 Dually to use as a tow rig. Would I be better off building it back mild as I want to maintain the TBI on it for reliability and emissions? Or can I still stroke it with a mild cam and will it work with the TBI? Basically are there any advantages or disadvantages to having a stroked big block in a tow vehicle? Thanks for any input.

Russ

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ull need a diff chip if you stroke it, if you already have the 4.25" crank bore it .060 over and have u a 496 like me. Advantages more torque to get ur load movin, more hp to keep it moving, disadvantages........GAS, but shoudlnt be too much worse than a reg 454.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    bore it .060 over

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Cyl. walls getting alittle thin there don't ya think ???

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Cyl. walls getting alittle thin there don't ya think ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, most of those 454 blocks are good to .100" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

not really have seen em bore .1 over and they held, mine is .060 over.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Impeccable timing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily on a BBC....

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've always heard 60 on sb's and 120 on bb's are the limits...

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i've always heard 60 on sb's and 120 on bb's are the limits...

[/ QUOTE ] In all honesty, I've built alot of small blocks, and owned a few big blocks, but never built up a big block yet. Plan to in the future though.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would still stay with the .030 as you would only gain six more cubes and 4-8 HP (heck my snowblower has more power than what the extra would give him), and he would lose the ability to later go .060 and .100 etc.

If he was building a drag machine and was worried about each 10th of a second, I would say OK go .060, but not on a daily driver (unless the cylinder walls dictated it). And nomatter what anybody tells you, the more material you take away, the weaker the walls get (deflection/deformation), even though it would be negligable between .030 and .060.

As for stroker motors and TBI, search the web, there are several companies that claim they can make it work with new injectors and software/firmware.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

good luck getting the TBI to work on a 496... I have a 454 and the ONLY reason I didn't puch it to 496 when I rebuilt it was b/c the airflow limitation of the TBI. check out www.454ss.com Those guys know their stuff about TBI 454s. The stock TBI airflow limitation is about 670cfm...not NEARLY enough to feed a 496 at full throttle... You have an excellent choice in parts however...If I were you, I would look at the Edelbrock MPFI conversion for TBI for the 502ci. also there is a guy on 454ss.com that bores and sleeves the TB of the TBI to flow close to 800cfm IIRC.

Chris

13. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks Chris. I will check that site out. I may just wind up selling the parts that I have and taking it back to stock.

Russ

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyl. walls getting alittle thin there don't ya think ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, most of those 454 blocks are good to .100"

[/ QUOTE ]
    The early blocks till 73-74, depending on castings, could usually take .100 over, the later, lighter blocks used from that point on had alot thinner walls. I have had some late 70's blocks that couldn't even go .030 because the core shift was so bad! I don't know much about the later FI blocks though.

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got my block out of an 88 burban, its a 4bolt main, its bored .060 over and machine shop sonic tested it, said it would be good to .1 over.

16. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I'm still carbed, so I'd be happy to take it off your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The TB is going to be the limiting factor, but considering that the motor is not going to see high RPM I wouldn't worry about it. You will need some PROM tuning to get it running to it's full potential, and airflow mods won't hurt. Third Gen BBS has a good TBI tech section as well. You could install a HT502 crate motor and the GM PROM (PN 12366556) if you want to avoid tuning hassles.

18. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks again for the replies. I have a head question for this motor also. Obviously the heads that came on it are the small peanut port type heads, and I have been looking at the merlins as possible replacements. Am I locked into having to use a carb if I go with older large oval port or merlin heads? Or, are they compatible with using a TBI/emissions short of the lack of airflow through the throttle body?

Russ

19. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

There are alot of aftermarket Injection kits that you can use. I am running a early holley projection system with oxygen sensor upgrade. It runs good, Sometimes tuning is touchy. But from waht I have heard, lots of people have had problems with these. Edelbrock and some other company's make stand alone injection systems, TBI's and MPFI systems. K20 has an edelbrock MPFI upgrade for the tbi system that looks preety cool. Holley also has some newer sytems that are digital and laptop tuneable. I have the old anlog system. but I'm old, so why not have old parts!

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I like 496's... I have one in my Chevelle /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But in the end I think for a mild application that is gonna be choked with TBI I would freshen up the stock 454 and run a set of open chamber oval ports with a valve job and larger valves if you can swing it and what a bit more in the upper end. With the proper cam and headers you will have more then enough torque and power and it will save you the cost of the crank. Worked oval ports suck as the 781's are good for over 600 hp and I have seen them work well with substantial work even on a 502. The Merlins or any rectangle port head IMO is not worth your time because the velocity of that head at lower lifts and rpm like you will see most of the time with your truck will hurt you more then help you.