Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stroker kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Dec 30, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Lookin to build a 383 for my junk, I already know how I wanna do the bottom end and rather than buying piece by piece I found a good solid kit from enginekits.com. I did some comparing from summit and it would cost a few bucks more to buy it piece by piece.

http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2117

Only thing different I would do is 4340 rods and crank.

Anyhow..Anyone deal with these guys? Comments? Suggestions for a better place to get the kit? Ive been all over the net but I am liking this kit becuase of what they use. Ive already searched this site but no one spoke much about this particular website.

2. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

ive seen alot of decent looking kits on ebay...just type in 383 stroker and you should be able to find lots of stuff to help your build....when i built my stroker i ordered the whole kit from scoggin dickies in lubbock, tx....it cost me about 1200 bucks for the scat crank, scat rods, and pistons all balanced....but it can be done for cheaper on ebay...also, a good cheap place is motorville....good luck...if you need some help ill try the best i can...

3. 5150_BEAST

5150_BEAST Registered Member

stroker kits....

try POWERHOUSE in bakersfield,ca.they are the home of the 383 stroker. i myself have hade great results with them,i used their 335 stroker kit to build my 337 stroker for my drag car,utilizing their kit coupled with lots of shop work and a little voodoo magic, i was able to squeeze over 575 horse and slap the tach at around 9700 rpms....i trust their 383 kit is up to the task of not only horsepower,rpm range but also rock solid durability. a couple of my friends have also used their kits,one used the 383 kit in his 71 nova and still clicks 9.80's all day long for 3 years now with minor tear down maintanence and also have a friend who has used the ford 347 kit they offer and runs mid 10's on the throttle and high 9's on the giggle gas. give em a holla and see what they can do for you, sorry i dont have the phone # but their ad is in all the performance mags (car craft,hot rod,etc.).hope this has helped:D

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Hey I forgot about scoggin dickeys, thats a good place too. I checked ebay and my drawback is I want everything balanced together when the block gets machined and a few places didnt have the pistons/rods I wanted.

Ill look into powerhouse right now.

As Im making a list of thing i want i am lookin at oil pans, would the stroke of the crank interfere with a windage tray in the pan? Seems to me it owuld becuase I know alot of people have to hammer clearance the pan as it is.

5. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

my oil pan has a windage tray and 2 trap doors in the bottom and i havnt had any problems w/ the crank hitting it....it did break 2 dipsticks tho!!!!

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Hey 5150..you mentioned powerhouse, turns out the website I posted above is the kit from them for aorund $1200.

7. 5150_BEAST

strokerkit...

never ran a windage tray...thats actually a good question...might want to consult powerhouse bout that. i just ran mine old school...big power,all go,and if it blew then at least i would have a cool paper weight:D but seriously the engine is currently "hibernating" in storage until i build another mustang killer,im kinda concertrating on off road right now cause im having way to much fun with the beast...if you got 12 grand burning a hole in your pocket then you can have the engine:D

8. 5150_BEAST

stroker kits...

i never paid 1200 bucks for it:whistle: i got hooked up...but we are talking '97 here...the engine has been in storage for 2 years now

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I wish. Ive got like 12$ total in my pocket LOL. Seems all the pans I come across have a max stroke of 3.5".

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If you know someone hook me up :D

With the good its $1268

11. 5150_BEAST

stroker kit...

i invested so much in the engine...just save and do it right. im trying to convince the wife to let me spend 10 grand on the beast...she mentioned,"over my dead body",and "cold day in hell"....do you think im screwed?:dunno:

12. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

I just used my stock oil pan, but I did have to bang out the sides by the rear counterweight with a hammer. Seems fine.