Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strongest Axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, May 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What are the srongest axles? danas front and rear? corporates front and rear? Some combnation of them? or any others.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

2.5 ton rockwells /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Dana 60 front and a Corporate 14 bolt full floater rear. afetr that its custom or military axel time.

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I think the 5 ton rockwells might be a bit stronger...lol

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just what I was gonna say, too! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Yeah, 5 tons are the strongest of them all. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Depends on how big of tires you want to run and how much power you plan on pushing through them. A mild 305 with 31's and a 10 bolt or Dana 44 with a 10 or 12 bolt rear is great. Bump up between 33's and 44's and a Dana 60 front and a Dana 60 or corp 14 bolt makes a good combo. Up the power and bump up to 56" tires and you'd be good going with the 2.5 ton rockwells. Up the power/tire again and you might want the 5 ton rockwells witht the 4 to 1 gear reduction but then your dealing with axles that are over 2500 lbs each. If you plan on even more power and bigger tires, you can step up to Rockwell F106 axles with Rockwell PS115 Planetary Ends at 900lbs each and a 6 to 1 reduction ratio and you up to modern day monster truck... so it depends on what your after.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

look like i need Rockwell F106 axles lol ya right im only goen 35's with a pretty well powered 350 sounds like the dana 44 and dana 60 or 14 Bolt will do me fine

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With 35's you could spend a lot of money on building a stout Dana 44 which would take quite a bit of abuse, if you plan on abusing it. Most of the desert racers here like to run the lighter 1/2 or 3/4 ton front ends for the high speed jumping stuff and opt for the heavier Dana 60 front with more power and more rock climbing. I just up'd to a Dana60 because of a tire upgrade but my stock 1/2 ton Dana 44 did me great with zero problems on 33's. As most will tell you here, it really is a balance between what your doing and how you drive.

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your right the 5 ton rockwells, but then he should go 6x6 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I would like to see some pictures of people jumping there trucks I will probably run my truck pretty hard I just dont want to mess any thing up.
    Can some one tell me what stock 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1tons have and how to tell the diffenence by looking at them(I no how to tell the difference between 10 12 and 14bolt but I dont know about the dana's and if its even a dana)

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

barring wacky made for the military stuff... I would think a D60 front and ff14b rear would be the beefiest. There is always the D70 and 80 rear... or even the Dana 135 (?) that they have on the F550 for the Turtle Expedition rig.... but thats getting a lil wacky. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

get a ff14b and roll!

J

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a few pics and video of mine on my sig mostly popping the front end up from a stand still. I don't however have any of the jumps its done on the half ton gear. I got a little ballsy one day and got the front a good 8 feet or so in the air and the back about 4 feet with a running start, the rear landed first and slapped the front down hard enough to bounce the truck back of the ground and sideways, breaking my rear driveshaft in the process. I subdued to what you see in my sig for fear of more carnage untill I could build it right.
    as for axles, there is a technical section on the board here which can help you identify the axles at http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml but thats mostly for rear ends. The front Dana60 has caps with 4 nuts on the top of the knuckles as opposed to the Dana44's single king nut design. The Dana 60's come in the less desireable closed knuckle design (knuckle houses a big rotational steel ball) in the earlier years to the open knuckle which shows the u-joint, and have chevy and dodge cross compatibility (with a little variance of 3/4" at the perch). The Dana 44 has an earlier less desireable version as well, both styles coming in 6 lug or 8 lug but I'm not as savy on how to tell them apart.

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

So does this mean that you are just looking for a strong axle housing, or the internals too? I have a 12 bolt that is very well trussed and it sees big air regularly. I didn't see the need for the big and heavy 14 bolt when I am flying through the air! No pics online yet, but I'm working on it! That is one of my trusses on the left, the other is just a conn-ferr super skid. If you are not always in the air, a 14bolt with a detroit is strong enough (and cheap enough) to where you will probably never break it (internally), but anything can be done with a little effort!

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have a couple pics of me jumping on my page

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

where are you flying the blazer at on ur page?

16. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I would like to see some pictures of people jumping there trucks I will probably run my truck pretty hard I just dont want to mess any thing up.
    Can some one tell me what stock 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1tons have and how to tell the diffenence by looking at them(I no how to tell the difference between 10 12 and 14bolt but I dont know about the dana's and if its even a dana)

<hr></blockquote>
    check out my webshots page...there are a few pics of me skyin my blazer

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

in parris, ca... it's near lake elsanor

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I love that air shot Chaz!

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i got more pics comin from this weekend at the oregon sand dunes...got a few feet of air there too...then drove home 10 hours...hehe /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Is a Dana 60 rear with 30 spline axle strong enough to handle 37" tires? 14 bolt is great but no ARB or other selectable locker available.