Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strongest brakes for 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k14, Apr 17, 2007.

1. k14

k14 Registered Member

I've got an 80's 10 bolt front diff in my '66 Burb. I had planned on swapping in a 14 bolt ff rear and upgrading the 10 bolt to 8 lug with the heavier brakes, but now i'm thinking of staying with my current setup because I really like my wheels. Does anyone know of an oversized brake kit for the 6 lug 10 bolt. All I could find is this http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/2702/?make=Chevrolet&model=Blazer+%28Fullsize+4WD%29&year=1984 . Does anyone know if larger rotors and calipers are made for this application. Thanks!

2. k14

k14 Registered Member

Anybody? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Maybe going the 8 lug route is my only option?

3. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I really dont know much; but if you put a 14 ff rear 8 lug, and change the front backing plates and brakes, you would have 8 lug all around. then see if they make a plate that uses 8 lugs and converts to 6.

Are you going after bigger brakes or bigger rear end? I converted my front to 8 lug and my rear to 14 bolt SF, and my brakes stop me and a stumpgrinder well.

Hope this is some help ---Jeff

4. k14

k14 Registered Member

Thanks. I really just want bigger brakes to help when I tow a boat. I don't do any hardcore wheelin other than some sand dunning and wanted to keep my 6 lug axles.

5. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I say swap to some discs in the back, and you'd prob be happy with it. :)

6. 74poj

74poj Registered Member

if you're going 14bff in the rear just do the disc conversion. i'm running standard size brakes on my 8 lug 10b up front with the conversion in the rear. stops on a dime with 34's

7. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

Or/also get tralior brakes, that might be cheaper

8. solidaxlesub

solidaxlesub 1/2 ton status

you could use the 6 lug hubs for the 14 bolt and convert it to disks with 1/2 ton rotors. problem solved:D