Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Strongest chro-mo D60 shafts? Anyone try the "Cryogenic Freezing" yet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jul 6, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Strongest chro-mo D60 shafts? Anyone try the \"Cryogenic Freezing\" yet?

I am not sure who or what is the strongest Co. out there. I have read alot of stuff on companies using crappy steel or chro-mo that barely passes for chromoly at all to make thier shafts and I dunno who these weasels are and want to know where to buy. I also am wondering if anyone tried thew cryogenic freezing yet? If so I have a local source willing to do some up for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Rob

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Re: Strongest chro-mo D60 shafts? Anyone try the \"Cryogenic Freezing\" yet?

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does the cryo freeze job do? Other than obviously make them stronger (otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it in this post /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif)

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I think the only people who do cryogenic freezing are CTM and that stuff is high dollar but besides that Id go w/ superior

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

when you cryo freeze a metal object it becomes stronger becuase all the molicules will be inline once it returns to working temp. so there are little to no stress risers and weak spots.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

VE D12 engines now come with fractured rods.
    The big end is scored and it is then frozen.
    when you get it it looks like one peice, you have to place the rod in a vice and smack the end of it with a hammer and it splits in two. Kinda cool.
    Once assembled it looks like one peice again. Can't even see a crack.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

strongest? go over to pirate4x4.com's vendors forum, find a guy with the screen name of "PIG" and give his shop a call. He sells Sandy Cone crafted axle shafts made from aerospace quality 300m. Pretty much the best/strongest shaft you could get at any price. They are all custom done, so if you needed a custom length or whatever its not a problem. If memory serves for standard length 35 spline D60 shafts its $700 a pop. Not cheap, but it prolly is as good as it gets. Cone is the guy who made the gun-drilled 40 spline D60 shafts for Camo's wicked custom D60 that was in Petersens.

if you want something from a more mainstream supplier, I'd go with either CTM or Superior.

j

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I was thinking either some 35 splines or a set of 30's and have them cryo'd by Bobby Long up in Monroe "Longfields" a.k.a. the maker of the the toyota Birfields /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I hear those are baddazz.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd have to dig way deeper in my materials books and background to get specific but I know the cryo treatment can do a couple of things, one is help with molecular alignment which should already be taken care of with the forging process. The most useful cryo benefit is to complete a phase transformation in the steel that won't be fully completed at "room" temperatures. Some steels are going to have a much better reaction to the cryo treatment than others. There is some very advanced material science to this and short of having some very definite knowledge of what the treatment will do for you, I'd leave it alone and spend the money on bigger parts.
    Keep in mind that the gains in strength are often pretty small with the cryo treatments while gains in strength with size are huge. Definitely go with the biggest shaft you can afford in the best alloy you can afford rather than trusting in something that will give you small gains at best.

Superior pretty much has it nailed for good production axle shafts. Which is why we carry them.

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Cryo Science, as a sponsor, has Cryo’ed parts for several trucks that I have been involved with. It is hard to quantify exactly what Cryo’ing has done for our racing efforts. We know it helps, that’s why we keep doing it, and we have just had so few parts fail… It is in a non-racing application that Cryo’ing has really convinced me. My ’90 Blazer used to go through front brake pads every 6 month and would destroy the rotors in the same time. Part of it is my driving style, I always late brake, always the racer. Part of it is the weight of a full sized Blazer and running 37” Goodyear GSA’s on it. Anyway, after we Cryo’ed the new rotors and pads almost two years ago I’ve put more than 30,000 miles on them. I used to “heat check” the rotors and get lots of brake pedal shutter after only a few thousand miles. Even after all the miles on the Cryo’ed rotors they show no wear or “heat checking” and there is no pedal shutter. We Cryo everything from 300M 40 spline Gun Barrel Drilled Axles and Ring and Pinions to Transmission and Engine parts. By the way CTM U-joints a Cryo’ed by Cryo Science. Check them out at for a good explanation of the process. http://www.cryoscience.com/

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The cryo helps a little bit in strength. What it does most is limit stress risers (on a microscopic level) and thus lengthen the overall fatigue life. Metal is brittle, we stretch it repeatedly in axles and such. The new technologies go hand & hand with the bigger is better (as stephen mentioned) theory. Big is great but will still fatigue when pushed up to its limits repeatedly. That is where the cryo idea comes into play. At least that is my understanding on it from what I have read in the science press releases on it.