Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stub axle WTF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

So i put my 10 bolt all together and was changing over my locking hubs in anticipation of slapping it in today, so I put one in and its fine, go to slap the other one on and couldn't get the snap ring on, so I took my locking hub off to take a look, the "seat" for the snap ring is about 3/4" farther in than my dana 44 on the truck now, or the other stub shaft.
    The guy I bought this off said that he couldn't find one axle shaft so he grabbed one from a dana 44, from everything I read the dana 44 and 10bolt are the same from the knuckles out so what the hell is going on?
    I guess I have to take my dana 44 apart and steal that stub shaft so I can get my 10bolt ready to slap in problem free.
    What is this stub shaft for? They are both 28 spline and exact same length just the snap ring seat it farther back on the shaft on the one.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I haven't had that snap ring on my stub shaft for years and have had no issues. It just won't fit on some axles. Even the Warn instructions say that's just the way it is.

All stub shafts are 19 spline, not 30.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

so your saying if I don't run the snap ring it will be fine, even daily driving and everything?
    I guess if warn says its fine and you haven't had a problem I'll run with it.
    Thanks

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Tim is right, you can run without the snap ring with no problems. Take a look at the other one with the snap ring installed. It's been awhile since I looked at a D44/10b, but push the stub in as far as it will go on the one without the snap ring, then do the same on the one with the snap ring. There isn't much difference. I think the only reason it's there is to keep the seal on the shaft pulled tight against the back of the spindle. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That snap ring is there to retain a Spicer hub, without the snap ring the spring will push the hub guts against the back of the dial if you have spicers. I'd guess the ones with no snap ring were the auto hub era...

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope. Mine had auto hubs and had the snap ring. They wouldn't fit when I swapped to Warns so I deleted the snap ring.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to find that snap ring when I take my '60 apart though.

I DD'd my truck for two years without the 'ring.

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I have warn premiums also. I will run it without.
    Thanks for the replys