Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stub shaft seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, May 21, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Help me please. I ordered a steering gearbox repair kit from kragen and autozone. Both were the same part number both are wrong. They are both an 1/8th inch to big in diameter so They wont fit. So I called and had them cross reference the original seal (7832426) and thet keep coming up with the seal that is the wrong size. Is my gearbox wrong. Both stores looked it up for a 90 gmc jimmy (fullsize) w/ a 350 and both are wrong. What do I do. Maybe it is time for the cross over swap????

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

go for the cross over, youll never regret it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif 2wd gear box, new dropped pitman arm, new steering knuckle and center link and tie rods. sounds like alot but well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have to do it for under 300 though. Preferably lower

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

i think I spent about that muchon everything including making all the sreering arms from 1.5 inch cold rolled steel bar, heim joints ect,ect /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifyou can do it

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

anybody else. Kinda stuck here. It is the seal where the steering shaft goes into the box not the sector shaft. Has anybody ever replaced this? Anybody have a part number for it? Thanks

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I figured it out. Apparently a truck and a blazer have a different box. I asked for the kit for an 85 k10 it was it. So Im guessing the prvious owner swapped a gearbox from a trudck onto the jimmy. So if you didnt know (or am I the only one) A truck and a jimmy have 2 different gearboxes. But the funnything is that a 2wd and 4wd have the same repair kits. So does this mean you cant use a 2wd sector shaft from a truck on a blazer box since they are two different seal repair kits???