Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stubborn Engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mav25, Jan 25, 2003.

1. mav25

mav25 Newbie

I'm putting a new engine in my 84 blazer, and I'm trying to get the engine to turn over so I can finish disconecting the torque converter to flexplate bolts. However that's where my problem is, the engine is not turning over!! It was able to turn over before I decided to swap a new engine into it, so I don't know why it's locked up. Any helpful hints for getting a stubborn engine to turn over?

2. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Pull your plugs. I that dosn't work put your starter back in and crank.

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Since I just finished dropping a new engine in my '83, I've got some recent experience with this. On the old engine, I tried to turn it with the bolt going into the end of the crank, with poor results (nearly stripped crank). So, I'd pull the plugs to eliminate any compression, pull the inspection cover on the tranny and lever against the flex plate with a large screwdriver, bearing on either the back of the engine block or the bell housing.

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

they also make a tool specificaly to turn the fly wheel

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

LOL on my friends 83, we had to do the trans, TH350, we had to turn over the engine, in order to do so, all i did was reach on the flex plate and pull it down with just my hands /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. that engine was from 74' truck was a 1\2 ton 2wd 83 chevy, that engine fawked up a few months after. but he beat the [censored] out of it. i would say put on some gloves, take out the plugs, and grab what you can on the flex plate and pull on it, it might work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally id pull the engine with the converter and deal with it on the ground