Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stubborn gear pattern? or me?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shiprekd, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

I was setting up my 14 bolt this afternoon. Drove me crazy (and still is!) with trying to get any kind of good pattern. Maybe you can give some insight with this:

Yukon 4.56's, new....

NO SHIMS and BL @ .006 - Resistance/load pattern

Everything else I have tried puts the pinion way too high on the face of the ring. I'm going to get a shim pack `morrow because I have nothing less than .024 - .40 shims.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Drive pattern as it is now:

[​IMG]

Coast pattern as it is now:

[​IMG]

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Looks a tad deep to me. How can you not have any shims thinner than .024"? Its pretty close, try .005"

3. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

That's the same question I asked when I opened the shim pack up (master install kit). I have a pile of other shims layin around but nothing for the 14 bolt. First time doing a 14 bolt although not my first time setting up gears either.

To me, the heel to toe looks pretty good to run (on the drive side) but looks deep on the coast side. I really hate opening up the backlash any more because the pattern is almost at the dead top of the face. Pulling the pinion back is going to do the same thing unfortunately. Or am I wrong in that thinking?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The heel to toe pattern can be changed by the backlash but you generally can't do much with it. Most of that is up to how well the gears are cut and how true the housing is. The more I look at it, the more I think I would just run it. If you really want to try to get it as perfect as possible you can try throwing a small pinion shim in there.

That is, if you are 100% sure that all of the bearings races are seated. Having no pinion shims is a pretty rare setup but it has happened.

5. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

The no shim thing is what bothers me. The carrier is a 4.10 case with Yukon thick 4.56's. I have half a notion that -that combo may be what 's causing the crazy set-up. I've never had it happen to me before until this particular set-up.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Did you make sure that none of the small shims are stuck together making a "bigger" shim? Just a thought.

Oh and I would run it if you are certain everything is seated. I only used .020 on my setup.

Ira

7. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input.

One of the first things I did was check to see if there were any shims stuck to each other. I did a triple check to make sure verything was right (bearings/races/etc..). Other than the pinion bearing preload being at approx 22lbs I can't seem to find anything wierd or out of sorts.

Just seemed crazy to me. When I pulled the original pinion assembly out, there was an .032 shim behind it. It had a gov-bomb and 3.73's. Anyway...

Since you guys think it's good enough, I guess I'll just button everything up, do one last pattern check and be done with it.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I dunno. For what a set of gears costs it pays to make sure it is right. The pattern actually doesn't look very distinct to me, almost like it is smeared, which makes it a bit difficult to tell Are you applying some kind of resistance to the carrier when you rotate the pinion to mark the pattern? You typically need to do so in order to get a good pattern marking.

9. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

That pattern doesnt look that bad to me.. Ive seen worse and Ran worse in my junk and had no problems.. Id say run it.. its not that bad... Nate