Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stubborn u joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bandit175, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

anybody got any hints on pressing out old u joints. I tried the bench vise and socket method but I somehow cracked the base of my vise. I also used an 8in. c-clamp but no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW they are inner retainers. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

propane torch should loosen things up.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The clamp/socket method works for poop...unless you've got a hydraulic press.

Just lay the u-joint over the top of two surfaces (ie. an open vise) and hit on the yoke of the driveshaft with a decent size hammer/mallet. Don't hit on the hollow part, but hit on the meaty yoke. You won't damage anything, and it work's like a charm.
    Hope that makes sense, if not...I'll try to explain it better.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had one of those. I could not get the damn thing out! I ended up heating it up with a torch and that did it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are those axle U-joints you're doing? I had one I cut the U-joint cross with a small grinder. Then i used a drift on the cups...they finally came out with some heat and a lot of cussing.

Rene

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Try going to the local tool store and get the proper tool instead of messing around with hammers and vises. Its called a ball joint/u-joint press and can be had pretty cheap if you look in the right places

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I replaced my front drive axle u-joints this weekend. They likely have been there for 28 years since the truck was new. The bearings were rusted solid. Everything on my truck is 5 times harder to remove/replace cause it's all rusted together. Here's the trick:

Get yourself a ball joint/u-joint tool from Harbor Freight. If you don't have this, don't even think about changing a u-joint cause it's gonna cause you a lot of pain. OK if you are a pain-lover, go ahead and try it with a big c-clamp or vice or something else.

Remove the c-clips, or whatever holds the caps in place. Next, get the appropriately sized 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar and start cranking on the tool to push out one of the caps.

Here's the trick.... once you have cranked really hard (when you think something is gonna break), put on your safety glasses and get a 5 lb hammer. Wack the end of your new tool (the other end from the wrench). You will hear a LOUD pop and the tool will be loose. Now you can wrench on it a few more turns till it gets hard again and give it another wack. You will see dust fly and hear the loud pop. Repeat this process until the cap tool has reached full travel. Now pull the cap out with pliers. This works every time on those stubborn u-joints.

I broke two new caps this weekend cause I cranked too hard on the new u-joint during installation and the yoke was a little out of tolerance (too tight). I just put it to the grinder and took a little metal away from the inside so the c-clip would go in.

I hope this helps anyone contemplating such a project.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

after I bent the yoke a bit removing my axle ujoints I pushed the cross through the end of my new $90+ spl55-4x
    fun stuff