Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck big 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Apr 19, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

stuck.jpg

stuck.jpg

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Reminds me of the "Military Whoops" series that 4WOR's been doing a lot of lately in issues.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

check out the dude with the shovel......"just a few more minutes and I should have you outta there buddy".

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is there as story to go with this? Id like to know how you do something like that and how they got it out if they did.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Seems like I remember seeing on one of those educational channels they have a supersized tow truck for tanks.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Heck, I think it is.. isn't that the one where the guy said it was poopy water it was stuck in? :doah:

8. dontoe

In deep $hit? Aaaaaa?:wink1:

9. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Trying to find the ones, yes more than one, that we helped get stuck at Camp LeJeune a couple of years ago.

Tanks have an M-88 Recovery Vehicle, which is nothing but a bigger tank without the gun. Shovels don't do much when trying to dig out a tank. They get stuck too.

10. dontoe

We need one for our wheeling trips!

Wow, that's some machine!
    [​IMG]

M88 Recovery Vehicle

Tank Recovery vehicles like the M88 were designed to recover damaged vehicles from the frontline while under fire. The standard ARV in the US Army immediately after the Second World War was the M74, designed by Bowen-McLaughlin-York (later BMY and now part of United Defense), which produced over 1,000 vehicles.
    The M88 initially began life as a replacement for the obsolete M74 medium duty recovery vehicle to allow the recovery of front line US M48 tanks. BMY was awarded a contract to build three prototype vehicles under the designation of T88, to use as many components as possible of the M60 tank. These prototypes were followed by 10 preproduction vehicles for troop trials. Production was approved in 1959 when Bowen-McLaughlin-York Inc. signed a contract with the US Army for 1,075 vehicles, with the first production M88s completed in February 1961. The design turned out to be an extremely durable and well-planned Armored Recovery Vehicle (ARV) and the type was added to the military inventories of many countries from the 1960s on. Though this vehicle has very good recovery capability & features, it fall short for crew protection. The hull of the M88 is of cast armour and rolled armour welded together, with the crew compartment at the front and the engine and transmission at the rear. The driver and mechanic are seated at the front of the hull, each with a single-piece hatch cover and periscopes. It had a front spade used primarily to stabilize the vehicle during lifting and recovery operations. The main winch could be used to drag a disabled tank or one stuck in mud back to an area where it could be towed or driven away. The boom could be used to lift tank engine-transmission units from tanks for repair. The towing pintle and tow bar could drag a disabled tank to a secure area for repair. The M88 was also used at the transport vehicle for the mechanics. It carried welding equipment, tools and spare parts.

[​IMG]

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I think I could get him out with the blazer......
    -Harrison

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I spent 4 years on an M1A1 Tank....Lots of experiece with the M88's. Pretty badass machines. When I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS, one of my buddies drove his tank into a huge artillery crater that was filled with water. The tank looked like a lawn dart sticking out of the ground- It was straight up and down, with about 2/3 of it in the crater and the back 1/3 sticking straight up in the air. Fortuneatley the main gun was over the rear of the tank. Anyways, I watched an M88 hoist that tank straight up out of the crater, back up and set the tank back on its tracks. Pretty awesome sight. I've had a tank stuck as bad or worse than the one in the pictures....It took longer to wait for the M88 to arrive than to get unstuck. :wink1: