Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck bolt PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by little79k5, Sep 7, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

Well started my lift this morning. so far i've pretty much had to cut most of the bolts off b/c they are so rusted on there. anyway, the bolt that holds the shackle to the hanger in the rear, i couldnt get it loose so i cut the head off in hopes of punching it out. now i cant get the piece of crap out!! ive tried vise grips, a punch, a gear puller (to press it thru), etc. with no luck. what are my options?? thanks.
    keith

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

take the load off the springs and just use a hammer and punch and punch it through it will eventuily come out

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

When I put on my lift, I had the same sort of problem. Your situation may be more involved than you think. The bolt is rusted into the metal sleeve in the rubber bushing. Trying to punch it through will get you no where (not to mention it will give you a wonderful ringing in your head for a while)
    After hours with a 3lb mallet, I gave up and rented an acetylene torch. With this, I cut through the bolt on the inside of the shackle (which freed up the spring/shackle) and then melted the bolt out of it's hole in the shackle. The only downside to this method is that you will have to locate a new bushing for your shackle - but that downside is balanced out by the fact that you get to cut through metal with fire.
    If you end up torching, have a bucket of water and a soaked rag nearby because the rubber bushing will catch fire/smolder for a while.

Good luck, and remember - the finished product will be well worth the effort.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

PB Blaster, and as mudhog said, make sure as uch load is off it as possible.

5. little79k5

yeah, i found out that it was stuck to the sleeve. i was able to cut the ends of the bolt off and pull the spring out and i used a gear puller to press out the sleeve and stuck bolt, so all i need is a sleeve and bolt.
    thanks
    keith

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your grinder and sawzall are your friend if you dont have a torch.

7. little79k5

yes they are!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif