Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck GLOW PLUGS...(5)!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dallassnowman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to get stuck glow plugs out?? I'm afraid I'll break them inside the block. What can I do.....It's an 82k5 6.2 diesel...with about 290,000 miles:confused:
    5 of the 8 are stuck!!!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not much experance with diesel, but try running the truck real hot then try pulling them

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There are a few different models of glow plug extraction tools floating around out there. Here's a link to one type:

OTC Tools GP Extractor

There are quite a few posts about swollen GP removal in the Diesel Forum. Maybe you should spend a few minutes spoking around in there, brother.:waytogo:

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My experience with glow plugs. Go ahead and break them off then pull the head, drill it out and throw some helicoils in there. Have this problems with the 6.5's at work and is very common.

5. dallassnowman

I'm just not to thrilled about pulling heads and crap like that...Is that a weekend type job. I'm a learn as you go type. Everything I have done its been by myself and learn as I go.

Aren't the glow plugs at the bottom of the block? Can I reach them with the heads off?

6. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Are the tips expanded or are the plugs not even coming loose. If the tips are expanded:

You can take a sharp chisel. Break the plug off, pull the injector, stick a magnet down there and pull the piece out. How the military does it. They usually put the magnet in there while breaking it( two man job that way). I have only done it once and worked fine for me.

BTW, the glow plugs are in the head not block. IF you are going to pull the heads. Don't waste your time breaking them then pull the head. Just pull the head then break them. Shouldn't take more than 1/2 a day to pull and reinstall heads if you have done it or any of the steps required to do it.. Maybe a full to a full day and a half if you never have.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The threads on the GP's should be fine...only the tips are swollen so they won't clear the hole. I've heard (don't you love second hand info?:) ) that if you keep threading them out and let the swollen tips break off you can get the remains out by removing the injector for that cylinder. The tip should remain in the pre-chamber when it breaks off, and a shop vac should be able to suck it out through the injector hole.

I'd avoid pulling heads on a motor with that many miles if I could.

Rene

8. Can Can

Doesn't that seem a little extreme? I've never had an issue with the threads in the head- the GPs get stuck because of issues with the GP core swelling, not the actual threads getting buggered. Why go to all the trouble of installing a helicoil? Unless I'm missing something?:dunno:

9. Can Can

Doh!!! You beat me to it, Rene!!!!

10. tRustyK5

From Muddog's post I'll assume you unthread the GP's then use the chisel so the tip breaks off.

Rene

11. dallassnowman

I love this site....I'd much rather try the shop vac thing..When I try to thread them out they come almost out then just keep turning. Are they metal, for the magnet way?

12. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Yes, they are metal. Shop vac is a good ideal too.

Also, tRustyK5, I did mean once you unthread them.

13. Can Can

I had a couple GPs that did exactly that, brother. I got them out by grabbing the end with a pair of vice grips and twisting and pulling on the GPs until they eventually popped out. One of them took about 3 minutes of steady twisting and tugging, with no broken tip......

Just make sure that you avoid moving it up and down or side to side too much. Hey, it's worth a shot instead of just breaking the suckers off to begin with.

14. dallassnowman

:cool1: If that will work ill try that.
    Just sucks I have 5 that are stuck!! I need all the advice I can get. This site is my only source for diesel related questions!!

15. tRustyK5

I'd try it Canmore's way first...nothing to lose but some time. Then my advice would be a set of "Quick heats" from Kennedy diesel.

Rene

16. dallassnowman

Sounds gooooood, thanks for everyone's help!!!!!:D :D :grin:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got one stuck one too

I cant get the frontmost glow plug on the passenger side of my 82 GMC 6.2 out of the head either--it unscrews,but the tip just wont come thru the hole--rather than break it off,I said screw it and left it--I dont need to be pulling injectors and breaking off the injector lines,or removing a head--it starts OK with only 7 new glow plugs so far,and its been very cold here,below zero a few times last month...I might never try to get it out!!:blush:

I had a hard time getting most of mine out they all unscrewed allright but I had to use vise grips to twist them,and soaked them good with PB Blaster to help get the carbon off and make it easier to get them out..I put AC G60 glow plugs back in,they cost 68 bucks for 8 at autozone--when I bought the truck,everyone here reccomended them,but I've heard more than a few have had problems with them--I have only put 2500 miles on my truck in the past year,but I do lots of short trips and have to use the glow plugs often,so far its started OK,but I havent checked too see if any of them died yet...

If there was a way to clamp onto the hex portion of the glow plugs,I bet you could "spin" them out with an electric drill in reverse while pulling back on them,but access is a problem ....it might break them off anyway..:blush:

18. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Another method (not sure where I did read about it recently):

Just unscrew one of the stuck GP. Put a piece of wood over it for protection. Then start your engine. The compression should pop it right out of the hole and into the wood.

Do it at your own risk!

Regards,
    Walter

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you try first then let me know how that goes!!!!

20. dallassnowman

Yeah let me know if it works!!!! I don't want to be the first.......