Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck Help Ideas!?! Update im out lol pics too

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Sep 15, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

my buddys little brother decided "lets see how far i can go" this is into a dryish lake bed. he goes 50ft i slowly back up, and it just sank down. its soft sticky mud...we already broke off a tow hook trying to snatch it out. anybody near the geneva area in fl email me at broncoman6524@yahoo.com any ideas on how to get me out? im trying to find someone with a winch to pull me out.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

:wink1: pics would help

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there better be pix coming for out of towners here.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

no help until we see pics.:shame:

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

jack the thing up then get a friend or someone to pull it. by jacking it up - that should break and suction the mud has held and make it easier to get unstuck.

btw, if he's still stuck after 3 days call a tow company have 'em bring the biggest truck that'll fit out there - and hope that one doesn't get stuck cause yer bill will probably double :doah: ... unless you get a price quoted beforehand. :whistle:

btw, there better be some good pics.

6. broncoman6524

well im out, i think im gonna send one of these to petersons:D lol ok it took 4 different trucks 3 chains and 2 straps to finally get me out. We tried snatchin on me with a strap, i didnt budge, tried the chain...shutup yes it was stupid...ripped off the hook, snapped the bolts in half. finally (today) i bought a hi-lift. lifted up the fornt adn rear put wood under the axles and used 2 come-a-longs attached to my moms f-250 which was ancored to a tree to finally get me out...now i gotta go change all the fluids ughlol

enjoy the pictures. btw i have aal and 33's:wink1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dry lake bed? Looks like fluff mud.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great photos and story..................been there, done that, ruined a T-shirt! :D

9. broncoman6524

yup it is a dry lake bed, last time i try to pull someone outa a lake...next thing to get is a winch. lol anybody notice my front bumper...:D :haha:

10. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

glad you got it out. Edit out the "moms" part, it's in the same sentence as ford.

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I started to highlight it...........I ripped up the plastic valance on my '82 K-10 about a week after I got it, 1986 winter snow.
    Snow melt, light rain, dirt trails = bad stuck!

12. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

reminds me of my old 'burban.

ahhh...

the memories. :doah:

suburban_damage.jpg

13. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Recovery ops.

First you need to be absolutely sure that EVERY single piece of equipment used in the task is strong enough and will not fail and thereby endanger life and limb. Hooks should be pointing up that way if they come off they go down. Realize, that for reasons of practicality and economics, your 4x4 recovery equipment is almost certainly undersized.....you can still do the job, using the correct techniques, but you will be much SAFER if you keep this in mind.

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    1) Most people are terrible at actually estimating the gross weight of their rig as it sits on the trail, full of gas, tools, equipment, food, camping gear, people, the dog...everything. Heck, in some cases the real figure can actually exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. Simple advice here - either err WAY on the heavy side, or get your rig weighed in trail trim.​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

2) More importantly, the "effective weight" of a "stuck" 4x4 is very often FAR more than 1.5 times the GVW. The following data on how to more accurately estimate the "effective weight", is taken from the world of professional heavy recovery - the guys that recover Tractor-trailers that have flipped on their side for instance, as well as U.S., Canadian, and UK Military recovery manuals.

Once you have accurately estimated or measured the trucks loaded weight (LW) you can calculate the resistance to be overcome in any recovery situation (this is commonly known as the ROLLING resistance). There are 4 types of resistance that must be accounted for to accurately assess the resistance that must be overcome. These are surface resistance, damage resistance, mire (stuck) resistance and grade (slope) resistance. Calculate them all as follows:

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Surface resistance

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]A pull of 1/10 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on a hard, level surface.
    A pull of 1/3 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on a softer surface, such as grass or gravel,
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Damage resistance:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]A pull of 2/3 LW will be required to move if the wheels cannot rotate (as if the brakes were fully applied), the pull required to overcome the resistance (drag) the truck id 2/3 or 67% of the LW. Damage resistance includes surface resistance (i.e. you only use one or the other)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Stuck (mire) resistance:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]A pull of 100% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to a depth of the sidewall on the tires.
    A pull of 200% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to the hubs.
    A pull of 300% of LW will be required if the truck is stuck to the frame..
    Mire resistance includes damage resistance (i.e. you only use one or the other)
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Grade (slope) resistance:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Upgrade (vehicle has to be recovered up a slope or grade)
    15 degrees - add 25% of LW
    30 degrees - add 50% of LW
    45 degrees - add 75% of LW
    Vehicle recovery on level ground - no correction
    Downgrade (vehicle has to be recovered down a slope or grade)
    15 degrees - subtract 25% of LW
    30 degrees - subtract 50% of LW
    45 degrees - subtract 75% of LW
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Final figure:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Add surface or damage or mire resistance and grade resistance, and this is your final figure or rolling resistance. This is the amount of pull the winch must apply in order to recover the stuck vehicle.

Here is the military approach.​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way to attack the situation. Using this method you can free a Hummer buried up to its axles Thanks to Mike Rowe and Dirty jobs.
    [​IMG]

If you want to read on recovery operations go here
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=11
    FM 9-43-2, Recovery and Battlefield Damage Assessment and Repair.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

14. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is totally usefull info. I was out with the rangers yesterday in the riverbed doing clean up. I was the only one to know how to SAFELY operate the winch. We were pulling out old farm equipment, cars, fencing... That winch was really getting a work out. talk about stuck. All this stuff was washed down stream years ago and was in dry dirt, it was almost like concrete. The boyscouts dug out most of a lawn Mower(Big riding type) and we had to pull directly on top of her to get her to budge(from a distace we kept pulling the truck into a hole) I sure wish we had snatch blocks.