Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck In 1st Gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by D1BADB, May 22, 2006.

1. D1BADB

D1BADB Registered Member

Hello all, I have an 1889 blazer AT all stock internals and am having a problem with my tranny. I have heard that these year trucks with the 700r4 have a specific problem in which it keeps the truck in 1st gear. It just happened all of a sudden. I can go in reverse and when i put it in D it will rev up and stay in first gear without shifting up. If anyone has heard of this or has some troulbeshooting ideas i can do without taking it to the tranny man please let me know., thanks

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your governor gear is prolly stripped. Easy & cheap to fix. Governor is located behind a big round cover on drivers side towards the back of the tranny. Just pry off the cover and remove the gear and weights. You can get a new gear at any tranny shop or the whole governor kit is usually around $15.00- $20.00 Make sure you get the gear/kit for a 700r4. not a TH 350 they look the same but are different.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most likely the plastic gear on the governor is chewed up. It's pretty easy to swap. It's behind a round cover on the drivers side of the trans. Gently pry the cover off and you can pull the whole assembly right out and see if it's damaged. :)

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    That's what happened to me a couple summers ago.
    On the freeway doing 75mph when all of a sudden it slams into 1st.

Had 1st and reverse only.

This is what the govner looked like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It cost me $12.00 for a new one from the dealer.
    You get the new gear and a new roll pin.The pin is what keeps the plastic gear on.

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

And unfortunately when this was offered as a possibilty to me I found about 1/4" of metal filings in the bottom of my pan. :-) but that was a K5 ago...

6. D1BADB

D1BADB Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys, I will pull that part this weekend and hopefully it is chewed up and replace it, Thanks again for that pic so i know what im lookin for....