Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck in 4H!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Apr 23, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I inherited my bro's '84 K-5 and was wondering if the 4WD lever even worked. So i pulled it to 4H but if i try to go to any other gear there is loud grinding noise. I can put the 4WD lever in neutral. I was just in the driveway, but I heard some rigs hav to backup 10 feet to get out of 4WD. I sure its something real simple that I'm not doing. What should I do?!

Blaze On!

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

you only have to back up if it has those awful auto hubs!! If it does, TRASH THEM. or they will trash you. I never broke one in a good spot!!

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

start the truck, put it in nuetral, move the shifter where it is needed. and then try it. MAYBE

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Auto hubs aren't the only reason you have to back up to disengage the T-case. Any 4x4 regardless of hubs can have tension built up in the driveline by driving forward for a while. To "undo" some of this stress, backing up is an easy way to do it. The main reason its necessary is because the front and rear tires of the truck never turn at EXACTLY the same speed. The small differences are what can cause the problems.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info, but i forgot to mention that the t-case is stuck in neutral, not 4H. If I try to move the lever to 4lo or 4Hi there is a loud noise like two gears trying to come together. And what is the proper way to shift to 4WD. The E-brake was on, would that have anything to do with it? Thanks for any advice.

Money-->Blazer

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that had a NP208 tranny case. Always did have a little trouble getting it into 4low. Don't you have to push forward and then over and then forward again? Anyway I think we would let the truck barely creep just so that the gears would move a little and it would slide in easier.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Since he case is in N put the truck in Nutral on the tranny without starting it. Cases have straight cut gears and will grind if the tranny has them spinning. So WITHOUT the engine running put tranny in N and if your on a slight hill let the truck roll just a bit while putting into 2wd. If it has manual hub unlock them if auto once you get it back in gear back up a few feet and then drive foward to disengage them. Next stop is for new hubs. Also change the fluid in the case.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

8. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

If you put your gear shifter in neatral....not park or drive...the gear grinding should stop. With mine np241 w/locking hubs....i can shift into 4hi on the fly and i have to put the truck in neautral in order to shift into and out of 4LO......never had a problem...knock on wood w/shifting in or out of 4x4 gears. once in a while it might get stubborn or frozen in the winter time and i really have to yank it but nothing else.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It worked, Thanks

Money--&gt;Blazer