Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stuck in 4low

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skeeterlink, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Skeeterlink

Skeeterlink Registered Member

I got a '78 that's stuck in 4low and the dern thing won't budge think it's something in the linkage of the transfer case (heard about some tricks about putting a drill bit somewhere to keep it from doing this again but first I gotta get it out. Anybody else ever had this problem and how in the hell do i fix it?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Not sure on how to fix it, but did you put the truck in neutral when you tried to shift it out of 4low? if not try that. Sometimes, I can shift mine with the truck in park, but sometimes not. Beyond that I really can't help you. Sorry.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Sometimes I have trouble shifting out of 4low or 4hi when my front and back tires are trying to turn different speeds. It puts the tcase in a bind. I would try rocking the truck while trying to shift. Unlock the hubs. Do everything to take the bind off of the tcase. Try shifting the linkage from under the truck. Make sure the truck won't roll away if you get it into neutral while you're under it. If nothing will work, you may have an internal problem.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I dont know why, but when mine binds in 4lo I can turn all the way to the right and back up about half a circle and it will come out, of if in soft stuff I can burp the throttle while pulling on the shifter and it will come out.

5. Skeeterlink

Skeeterlink Registered Member

preciate the advice burping the gas did the trick popped right out like it no prob

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Your t-case will bind if you have your tranny in park. Put it in nuetral and it should work unless you have an internal problem.