Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STUCK IN LOW!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zack, Apr 30, 2000.

1. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Okay guys I know this aint' a k5 but I have a 80 1ton with a 205 that's stuck in low range.. The gear shifter only goes into 2 spots where as it should go into 4. I can't go over 55 so I am assuming I am stuck in low range.. I just bought the truck so I don't know all its quirks yet.. I am gonna give it a try to figure it out tomarrow.. any hints? clues? Experiences in getting a 205 TCase outta low would be greatly appreciated.

Zack

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I dont know if this will be the same with you, but my 205 will bind when I run in 4lo in the trail and I will have to gas it in loose dirt and as I do pull on the lever and it will usually realase and come back into 2wd. Without doing this I can pull on the lever all I want and it will not come out. Hope this helps, if not you may be looking to rebuild it

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

i blew a mount one time and the tranny and tcase cocked to one side and kinda pinned the lever.........I've also seen mud and crap get cought up near the lever (tall grass too) ........also the problem that butch was talking about is "drivetrain wind up" it caused by the 205 not differentiating between the front and rear drive shafts ...........its the same reason you sould not drive a part time truck on dry roads in 4 wheel (or any high traction surface) sometimes backing up a little bit helps .......or switching the tranny into nuetral

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

4. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I took the boot and trim ring off today and suddenly it would pop into 2 and 4wd! Huh.. thats' odd.. Well I still can't seem to do more then 55 or less! Is this normal for a 350/350/205 combo backed by a 14B FF with 4.10's? I am stumped. Why won't it go any faster?

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

5. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

what do you mean you cant go anyfaster .........is it tach'n out or do you mean you physicaly cant get the truck to go any faster (ie its floored and thats it)

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

All of this sounds weird Zac....did you hit something? Cause the mounts to move? got a broke mount?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Somthing still sounds fishy. Have you checked you fluid level? Also, if you have 31" tires in high range you'll be about 2368rpm at 55mph. In low range, about 4765rpm at 55mph. There is adjustment for the gear selector also, I would get a manual and adjust it according to specs. It sounds like it may be out of whack. Also, like the others are saying, check all your transmission, engine, tranfer case mounting points for worn or broken mounts that may be causing weird angles. As far as getting out of 4low, this is my trick. Put in reverse and get a little speed, slip tranny into nuetral and while coasting turn steering wheel both directions a few times. When you stop you should be able to shift transfer case. This is done on sand road.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

8. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

try putting the car in neurtal, let it role a little then try the lever again

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

NYC K5, You mean put the TRUCK in neutral right?? Just kididng. Anyways, I have the same set up as your truck. When I'm trying to get out of 4lo, I just unlock the hubs, then put the truck in reverse for like 15ft. and then pop it in Neutral and then shift it to 2HI.
    Boss

10. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

All i do is put in it nuetral when im rolling and jam on the lever. It works but then again ive had 4 tranfers in my blazer.