Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck in Mud. HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Innerpiece, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

Hi all --

I got my 87 Blazer stuck in some good clay mud up to the doors. I've had some other large trucks try to winch me out to no avail. Commercial Rigs can't get close because I'm about 1/4 mile from a road. I need help bad, as its supposed to rain the rest of the week and there's a good possibility that my truck could be underwater soon. Any suggestions would help, I'm going out to start shoveling soon.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would start shoveling, and try to jack it up and put something under the tires(rocks work good). When you get all the mud outta the way, get some of your buddies to try winching/yanking, should be easier w/out all the mud in front of the truck

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

3. wi86blazer

wi86blazer Registered Member

Any farms in the area? If so, ask for help, a farm tractor is nearly as good as a dozer for pulling...

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Try jacking it up and putting some small logs under the tires, then winch with a snatch block. Breaking the initial hold is the toughest part.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. Innerpiece

Well -- thanks for the advice ... I'm going to try digging it out some, but I don't think I can jack it up because its nice grey soft clay all the way down to the center of the earth. As far as farm tractors ... won't the tall skinny tires in the rear just sink in upto the axles? won't the front end get buried? Any other suggestions? I have to dig some because the tires are just spinning and not digging any farther down ... its floating on the frame.

Thanks

6. Innerpiece

Well -- thanks for the advice ... I'm going to try digging it out some, but I don't think I can jack it up because its nice grey soft clay all the way down to the center of the earth. As far as farm tractors ... won't the tall skinny tires in the rear just sink in upto the axles? won't the front end get buried? Any other suggestions? I have to dig some because the tires are just spinning and not digging any farther down ... its floating on the frame.

Thanks

7. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

If you can find the farmer that's willing to help you he'll know if he can make it. I watched a farmer who did day hunts pull 5 cars out of his fields after an unexpected rain storm and that was the black gumbo Texas mud in plowed fields.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

8. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

What are your tires like? Do you have bald stock tires? ..... good stock tires ..... or maybe some oversize tires?

I got my truck stuck in some very soupy mud the 1st week I had it. It had some street (car) tires on it. To get it out, I changed the rear right tire to a 31" mud terrain and worked my way out by digging channels in the mud and rocking back and forth it took me about 6 hours all-in-all to get it out. Read my story http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Kinda hard on your rims, but you can lay a log across the rear behind the wheels then take a chain and go through the holes in your rims and around the log on both rear tires. with this attached put the truck in reverse. and by backing up about two feet the log will lift the rear tires out of the hole and you can fill it with stones or what ever. Just make sure to stop before the log binds against the springs so you can get it loose from the rims and repeat if necessary. You might could also use nylon rope so as to not scar up your rims especially if they are aluminum.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Many years ago I was camped at Utah lake. This guy that was with us had a 2WD International Travelall. He got up early on Sunday morning and decided to head home. So instead of dragging his canoe up the beach, he decided to drive his rig down to the waterfront and load the canoe there. You could stand on the beach, wiggle your feet and sink to your knees in just a few seconds. Needless to say, the Travelall was STUCK! Sitting on the frame.

We chained 5 4WD's together end-to-end to form a train and then we pulled that beast out of the mud. It had the old straight I-beam front end that acted as a bulldozer blade as we pulled him out. But having 20 tires digging and pulling made it pretty easy to get him out of there.

Can you get several trucks out there with enough chains and straps to do something like this? Just make sure that the tow strap on your truck is attached to a VERY strong spot! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

11. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Innerpeace,

Where are you located. I'm in Valdosta GA, and will be headed back to NC on Thursday. You may have had other trucks try and pull you out, but I'd like to give it a try. Its not always about the size, but more about Technique. Good thing i've got both [​IMG]. If you aren't too far out of the way, I'd be willing to lend a hand. I'm planning on taking 95 north out and up to NC. If this will be of any service, let me know.

As far as a self recovery technique, I"ve never tried this, but if the tops of the tires are showing, thread some heavy duty rope through the holes nearest the outside of the rim, thread them through a recovery strap on each side. (both fronts or rears) and as straight as possable, anchor the other sides. Keep the tires straight, and go SLOW, just put it in gear as the tires spin, it will wrap the strap around the tire. Something has to give. Hopefully the anchor before the axles or driveshafts, but its just a theory of mine. I've never had to try it. A HS95i and snatch blocks w/ lots of straps has served well.

Best of luck.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

12. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

If you get majorly desperate call in the huey haha!

[​IMG]

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Dig, Dig, Dig and Dig some more. Get that puppy out before the rains come!!!

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I have always done is shovel....shovel...
    I also have 5 blocks of 4x4 wood in the back....take one block of wood and attempt to use that as your jacking point. If you need put 2 of em together and make an X out of em. Put everything you can under your tires.
    I use the blocks of wood I have in the back. If you can get it up just a bit you can usualy move it. I only got one stuck...and I didn't have woody with me...oh gawd...that sounds bad...

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

15. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

winch and snatch block, if not get someone who knows what there doing out there. like they said it's more about the experience

Doug Krebs

16. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

THIS HAS HAPPENNED TO MY 98 2500 SUBURBAN- I BROKE A 10,000 LBS TOW STRAP. U NEED AT LEAST A 20,000 LBS TOW STRAP AND SOMEONE W/ A 454 OR SOME SORT OF 3500 TRUCK, HE WILL NEED TO CREATE SLACK, AND THEN FLOOR IT. THIS IS NOT TOO GOOD FOR THE EITHER TRUCK, BUT IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! I DID IT A COUPLE OF TIMES AND IT GOT THE BURBAN OUT OF THE MUD. DO THAT ALONG WITH DIGGIN IT OUT.

LATER

PHILL

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you do the above meantioned idea that dose work by the way DO NOT USE A STRAP WITH TOW HOOKS ON IT AND DO NOT ATTACH TO TRAILER HITCH BALL either itam will shoot back if they break

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

10,000lb strap??, I didn't even know they made those [​IMG]. I wouldn't use anything under 30k

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If you do have to use a strap with hooks or attach the strap to a ball, be sure to put a coat or something on the strap so whe nit breaks it will fall and not throw things at you.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

20. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I don't know if they have any logging operations down there but you might check. If they have a skidder within a couple of miles they might help you out. We had two of the family trucks stuck in the clay on a landing here in N. Calif. and ended up leaving them until everything dried out. I really feel for you since I know that stuff doesn't want to let loose of anything it has in it's grasp.

SMSgt Smith