Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck in reverse

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dapert, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dapert

dapert Registered Member

Did a steering column swap today on my '85 Suburban and when I started it up it jumped back about 4 feet because it was in reverse. It was in park on the steering column so I'm not sure what gives. I'm a little afraid to mess with it and try it again until I know for sure it's in park.

Any suggestions on what went wrong or how to know for sure if it's in park?

2. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

on the rod that comes off the steering shaft by the engine there is a rod that goes to the tranny that should have a bolt in it to adjust to make it longer and shorter thats most likely your problem

3. dapert

dapert Registered Member

I know the rod you are talking about. I could feel it seem to change gears when i pulled on it it hook it back up. Is there any way to know for sure how many pulls or at what position it ends up to ensure it's in park?

Obviously I'm afraid to start it again unless I know for sure that it's in park.

Any way to know for sure it's in park?

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

crawl under the truck, the lever on the tranny should be all the way forward when in park, put the colum in park and see if it needs any adjustment when you try to bolt it up.