Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck Mid-Project... Please help. :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 6, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i'm trying to replace the ujoints on my front driveshaft, but i'm not familiar with this style of ujoint at all. how do i take it apart? do i just get under the caps w/ a screw driver and pry them upwards (away from the center)? rather difficult to do it that way. i already removed the c-clips. ???

[​IMG]

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that setup is a pain in the a$$ to replace. I wait until they are obviously bad to replace them. The right way is to use a press. But a well placed hit with a hammer is what most people use.

3. black sheep

black sheep Registered Member

1st you will never pry them out with a screwdriver you must beat them to death.also the little plastic bubbles on the drive shaft are bonding? from the factory.you have to heat the area with a torch untill all of that oozes out,which will make it much eaiser

4. colbystephens

ok, i'll torch it and beat the hell out of it tomorrow! thanks!!! :)

5. colbystephens

i'm not seeing how hammering the hell outta that is going to make the joints move. since it has c-clips, shouldn't the caps come outward, rather than inward?

6. black sheep

black sheep Registered Member

you have to move the joints each way to get the caps out.I usually place a socket under the cap and beat either the shaft or flange to get it moving

7. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup , clean and simple , the only way :bow::bow:

I haven't bought one yet , well maybe I did , I have the Autozone loaner here . The p/o of my tow rig meant well , and has the receipts from buying the joint , and it says GMB ............ but he didn't know jack about installing them right . I got one roller and a pound of dust :eek1:

Anyway the CV's aren't all that intimidating , just mark the shaft pieces for oreientation , and press out the bearing caps . Its only more invloved if the ball or socket is fubared .

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ya can borrow my press if ya want, I sent ya a PM.

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You do them just the same as a normal UJ but there's 2 of them and a small amount of spring pressure between them. Just use a press and push the cross through one way, remove the cap sticking out then push it back the other way etc. Not rocket science but a bit fiddly on your own so if you've got a buddy to help, all the better.

WARNING: Do NOT get your wife to help. UJ + wife = broken nail .....not worth the grief!!:D

11. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

12. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I didn't read all the answers on this post, but i just did mine and this is what i found to work nice.
    Get a sockets set and a vise. use a socket smaller than the dia. of the u-joint bearing housing.
    close the vise on the the socket pushing the u-joint about 1/8". This will allow you to use the vice to support the socket while adding a socket to the other side that is bigger than the u-joint bearing housing. then close the vise on both socket pushing the ujoint housing into the bigger socket. remove the housing and repeat for the other side.

Hmmm, it's really pretty ez, but as i proof read what i just wrote now i've confused myself :doah: .

the front is tougher cause it kind of a puzzle the way it goes together but it's also pretty straight forward.

The hardest part is trying to hold 2 sockets, 1 drive shaft and close the vise.

13. colbystephens

ok, guess i'll trust you guys. just seems that it won't want to move due to the way its in the joints. :) maybe i'll take lots o pics of the process so other dudes can have a picture story for future reference for other noobs. :)

14. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure you get a few pics of when you squish your fingers between the 2 joints........just so others will know not to do it!:D

15. colbystephens

been there already.

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this is hard to explain over a computer. If you watch someone do it in real life it is simple.

First heat the snot out of it to get all the plastic bonding out.

You need to use the U-joints themselves to push the caps out. I use a hammer and a vise. but there are methods that use a little more finess.

Find someone you know that has changed U-joints and have them guide you through it.

17. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i dunno if this helps but here

[​IMG]

18. colbystephens

yeah, i'm familiar with how to remove a ujoint - done it a few times. i just figured that with a cv set up, the yokes would prevent lateral movement, and thus i was confused. anyway, got this all taken care of. i'll share some funny stories about it later (i.e. how to turn a driveshaft into a u-joint cannon).

19. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

there is a ball pivot contraption in between them......it is a giant pain in the ass. and if the pivot is worn out putting new joints in is a waste of time and money. so make sure. I use the vice as a press with a socket.

20. colbystephens