Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stuck of the Month

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2Dogs, Apr 28, 2003.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey All,
    No, not me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but no pics cuz no camera.... Told the Wife that situation has gotta change /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Went riding in CLear Lake yesterday (Sunday). On the way back to camp I look across the canyon we are in and what do I see? A full-size Ferd pointing straight down one of the steep open hills. I also notice 3 people at the back of the vehicle doing something with about 300' of strap /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Since it was still early (3:30) I went back up the trail a bit so I could holler at them - yes, they were stuck, and yeah, sure, come help. My return was something they were not expecting by the doubt in their voices.

We made it back to camp and loaded everything up, checked the map and made our way (1 Canyon north from Clear Creek Rd, They were off of 004) back to the Ferd.

I finally get there and meet the crew - 3 guys (2 young ones were responsible for the stuck, plus an S 10) and they start telling the story. Saturday they were mobbing through the hills, 1 on a quad and the other in the truck. Well they get to this part of the hill (bad, steep, /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) and the truck starts sliding down the hill. It was all over for them at that point - every move they made caused the truck to slide down further. And in the process they blew side gears or auto lock hubs in the front diff. So Saturday evening they walk out and contact the guy with the S 10 and go buy tons of straps and borrow hi-lifts. They head back up and work all day Sunday. When I arrived they had moved the truck about 30' by attaching the hi-lifts in line with the straps that were attached to a tree (tree line was about 200' up the hill). It is now about 3:30 or 4:00.

I get the Blaze as close as I can while testing the ground to make sure I can get out. By that time they are going "Wow! Thats a beast!" Even the Ferd guy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Feeling pretty good about getting my butt out I creep down the hill a bit and plant the left side of the bumper against a tree. So I let the winch out and start thinking how we can hook this up. They were still a few feet short of a good pull so we used the hi-lifts some more.

Those first few tugs were ugly. The winch would stall (BRAND NEW 9000i) so I would give it a nudge with the Blaze. The Blazer was soon setting on the pumpkins but that made me fairly confidant that I wouldn't get pulled down the hill. When I moved from that spot it was not able to back out of the holes /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif So I put it in 1st, gave it a little gas and up the tree I go!!! Scared the crap out of me. But that allowd me enough momentum to get it moving back up the hill in reverse.

Slow going but it was coming up. After many relocations, different tree anchors, etc we got it close enough to start using a snatch-block. Made life on the winch easier but did not speed things up /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eventually we made it up the hill. This was probably about 8:00. I had used a quarter tank of fuel idling or keeping the 'r's up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was worried cuz that put me at 1/4 tank and Hollister (closest gas) was 60 miles away.

Carnage at the top:
    1 front diff on the Ferd,
    1 Tranny on the Ferd - it was blowing fluid /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Doors on the Ferd wouldnt open anymore - they would on the hill and before /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    1 winch cable - it was chewed up bad with a few flat spots.
    1 t-case crossmember mount on mine

So we creep down the mouintain and head to Hollister. I made it on my gas which was a relief. While we were there the guys slip the Wife some cash - she says "no - look at how much fun he had..." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So we both try to give it back with no luck. I finish filling up, say our goodbyes andd get in the truck. Janis tells me that they gave us $200!!
    I fire it up and drive over to where they are parked and tell them come get the money or how about 1 tank worth.... They were adamant. Told me to buy a new winch cable /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I was happy with the performance of the entire Blazer. And in particular the winch/dual batteries. Wow, that was some work.

Feeling drag-ass today.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anybody making HD t-case mounts? LOL

Wish I had pics /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I learned a very important lesson - better to use the winch on someone else!!!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cool deal! I'm bummed that you didn't get any pics though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I pulled an RV out of the sand at Pismo one time and refused payment for it, the guy asked for my mailing address and I gave it to him without thinking about it. A few weeks later I got a long letter telling me how I saved their vacation and a check for $100. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Cool, Dave! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How'd my old D60 hold up? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 2Dogs

Like a champ. Except for the stock tie rod - looked like a pretzel when I got finished with it. Can I get my $$ back? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It was a wonderful feeling being able to power up that hill (pedal to the metal) without fear of driveline carnage. The looks on those guys faces.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I wish I would have gone 4.56s tho. Never needed the extra oomph off road but OD is still too fast for anywhere around here. The 4.10s let me tow or drive in Drive at almost any speed I want which is a good thing I guess.

Get your K30 back yet?

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure, tell me where to send the 10 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Should be getting the truck back tomorrow as the payment is supposed to be here then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 2Dogs